What's new
What's new

Cincinnati No. 0 horizontal milling machine

tcody

Cast Iron
Just brought home this Cincinnati No. 0. It is in overall good shape but I will be restoring it this fall. I believe it is from around 1900 and was fitted around 1932 with a Bridgeport C head. Any information about these machines would be very much appreciated. Any parts or tooling anyone has also appreciated - I know I need a low speed reduction gear. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• 00f0f_fC5Jz0hjnVu_600x450-3.jpg
    00f0f_fC5Jz0hjnVu_600x450-3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 00f0f_jMZ6tVs8LXd_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_jMZ6tVs8LXd_600x450.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,649
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,691
Posted before, but I don't find your previous posting - was not long ago, or in this section if I recall correctly

Here is one from the 1897 catalog.

Attachments

• 1897 No 0 Cinc.jpg
    1897 No 0 Cinc.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 956
Wow. Now I know what my Steptoe No. 0 was modeled after. It's of the same approximate vintage and is very, very similar in appearance and size (I wish mine had a vertical head on the overarm as well). The functional condition of mine was pretty good when I got it, but it looked horrible. I've started half heartedly pulling parts for restoration, but won't get into full swing until my 13" South Bend Lathe is finished. Do you happen to know what the taper is in your spindle? As similar as the machines are, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same. Mine has no door on the side and my overarm clamps are on the right instead of the left. Other than that and mine having back gears, they're nearly identical.

My spindle taper appears to be similar to a Morse taper. I Tried a MT3 center from one of the lathes and the spindle swallowed it. I don't have a MT4 to check, but I believe (based on dimensions) that a MT4 is too big. I'm starting to think it may be a Brown and Sharp taper (or something similar).

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I'm always happy to see the respect (and usage) for horizontals on this forum. They get no mention on the hobby forums, as one would expect, but I believe there are still a number of these little beauties parked in the corner of many working shops

Mine sees nearly as much use as the little turret mill. I have the original vertical head and have used it a couple of times. (The vertical head is sturdier than the typical Bridgeport style head because it is secured to both the column and the overarm.)

John Oder can ALWAYS be trusted to provide the most esoteric information for just about any machine tool mentioned here. He is the human equivalent of Tony's Lathe.com !!

mill-- help

Just brought home this Cincinnati No. 0. It is in overall good shape but I will be restoring it this fall. I believe it is from around 1900 and was fitted around 1932 with a Bridgeport C head. Any information about these machines would be very much appreciated. Any parts or tooling anyone has also appreciated - I know I need a low speed reduction gear. Enjoy the pics.
[/I]

Hi T --- it looks just like the Brown and Sharpe I once owned.. If it will accept Brown and Sharpe #9 collets and end mill holders,, I may be able to supply

looks good

Markus Markusfu at hotmail dot com to respond directly

Back