What's new
What's new

Pedestal Grinder ID?

Dan Wyatt

Aluminum
You rave about the pedestal, but you don't show it in the pix :rolleyes: :confused:

Leigh,

I don’t know quite how you could construe any part of my post as a being a “rave” and if you will look @ the lower portion of the first pic you will note the obvious inclusion of 3 vertical lines in the casting which could be --- repeat could be interpreted to be of Art Deco industrial design influence. ----- Dan

Dan, WOW! Massive and is that your South Bend behind it?

I'm not an expert on grinders, but I have seen that same 'art decco' design on a number of machines including early Delta. But, this looks "weigh" too massive to be a Delta.

I see what you mean by art deco design on the pedestal. Looks to date from the forties probably, maybe a bit earlier.

Second Mac's comment, that SB looks great!!

Dry Creek & others,

We are tracking thoughts on a couple of other forums and some believe it could be a Brown-Brockmeyer or early Baldor. ----- any thoughts ----- thanks Dan

Antique Mac,

Yes that is my old 1950 South Bend in the background. Here are 3 better pics. It took a while to restore and I can give more details off forum if you like. It was an old ship maintenance lathe. Notice the somewhat rare factory "A leg" instead of ordinary pedestals and the factory riser blocks taking a 16" to a 24". ----- thanks Dan

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Goodday2You/IMG_0192.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Goodday2You/IMG_0193.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Goodday2You/IMG_0198.jpg

--------------------
Dan, WOW! Massive and is that your South Bend behind it?

I'm not an expert on grinders, but I have seen that same 'art decco' design on a number of machines including early Delta. But, this looks "weigh" too massive to be a Delta.

Antique Mac,

Yes that is my old 1950 South Bend in the background. Here are 3 better pics. It took a while to restore and I can give more details off forum if you like. It was an old ship maintenance lathe. Please note the somewhat rare factory "A leg" instead of ordinary pedestals and the factory riser blocks taking a 16" to a 24". ----- thanks Dan

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Goodday2You/IMG_0192.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Goodday2You/IMG_0193.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Goodday2You/IMG_0198.jpg

Hi, Dan,

Is that one set up for 8 or10" wheels?

If so, from that pedestal shape, I'd be tempted to think its the small pattern Cincinnati, made by the Cincinnati Electrical Tool Co., (not 'The Mill', but one of many other independent Cincinnati manufacturing firms) probably in the late '40's or thereabouts.

We have a 12" Cinci pedestal grinder here...they are a good, smooth running, well balanced grinder. I replaced the original open bearings in ours with double-sealed ones, and replaced the original oil cups with 1/8 NPT plugs.

If the data plate is completely missing, have a good motor shop check out the windings.....all of those I've ever seen were would 'single voltage', so you may have to have it rewound if its 440 only and your shop power is 220....if its a '9-lead', tho, you'll be alright....setting up the wiring for either high or low voltage is the same as the generality of 9-lead motors, (at least on those I've seen), so use your data plate info from another motor.

(and if its not a Cinci?.....well, there were several other makers of these in the '40's-'50's, amongst which were Hammonds, Hisey-Wolf, U.S. Electrical Tool, and Queen City Machine Tool Co......have a look through the photos in some old catalogues, and you should be able to match it up easily enough)

cheers

Carla

Carla,

It is an 8" grinder. Thanks for your thoughts and we will put Cincinnati as well as your other suggestions on the list. I will try to find dirty paper on Cincinnati and others and see what we can come up with.

Thanks also for the info. concerning electrics.- Dan

morsetaper2,

Thanks for your thoughts. How old are your B&Bs? Could it be possible that the earlier versions had cast bases? ---------- Dan

Sort of similar to my Cincinnati, but I was thinking it looked more like some old Queen City machines I looked at once. Total SWAG and trusting my memory, etc, FWIW.

Rob

Dan Wyatt,

In response to your question... Here are pics of my pair of Brown & Brockmeyer. Not sure how old. Anybody care to guess? They are 8" wheels, both are 1/2 HP.

b_b.jpg

The one on right came out of U of MD Nuclear Engr shop, I think its a bit older based on the larger 1/2 HP motor??

The one on the left came from Natl Bureau of Standards, still has the NBS tag on it.

[ 05-03-2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: morsetaper2 ]

Nice Southbend, but one question. When are you going to start using it? :D No chance in hell a machine tool stays that clean and actually get used. Show me the chips!

blackboat& morsetaper2,

Thanks to the both of you for your thoughts and morsetaper2 for the pics.

Blackboat - I have tried to find pics of a Queen City during a search but found nothing yet and will try harder later. I have also had Cincinnati and Walker Turner in my mind, but still no answers. This one may never be ID, but then again someone may come up with an old pic or related info.

Morsetaper2- On your B&Bs all I could do is guess on age, but my guess would be the right one - 40s and the left one 50s or later. Thanks again for your thoughts and I will keep trying to solve this one. ------- Dan

jkilroy,

First off thanks for the compliment. Secondly I could go 2 ways with a reply back to you, but I will try to answer your question of “Show me the chips!” as tactfully as I can. My posture is that I need not justify why I own the lathe nor what I do with the lathe neither when I do it, but since you asked, I use the lathe very infrequently. I do about 95% of my lathe work on my Rivett 608, but I also clean it up after I use it. Given that the 56 year old SB ship’s maintenance lathe is probably within approximately 10% of original factory specs as per wear tolerances in high wear areas and the time that I have in on the restoration, I vacuum the chips up and wipe it down as evidentially its users preceding me cleaned up chips and knew how to maintain a lathe to protect it against wear. To put it plain and simple, surplus metal debris lying around on a machine for a protracted period of time in my book equals wear. It already has several small dings, divots, & chips out of the paint here and there and it will get several more I suppose and that is not a bother to me, but I don’t subscribe to the piles of chips left laying around on the lathe and floor as anything related to good machining habits, but perhaps my machine shop professor back in the late 60s in college (Mr. Gilliam) just taught us wrong. He just had 30 years background in machining in industry and a PhD in metals and given the several hundred machinists and machine operators that I have known in my life, I don’t think that the sum total of knowledge of any combination of 2 of the aforementioned could match old man Gilliam. He was the exception to the rule perhaps, but sharp none the less. The second sharpest machinist (not to be confused with a machine operator) that I have the fortune of knowing had no formal education and was self taught, but was a true artisan as machinists go, a very skilled and calculated craftsman, a superb engineer, etc. ---- I couldn’t “carry water” to either with my limited abilities, but I still enjoy learning and at least trying.

As a side note, I taught a basic machine shop class (Industrial Education) for 15 years (1970-1985) and had 3 WWII surplus SBs and they also were devoid of chips at the end of the hour during our 4 minute shop clean up and ready for the next days use by whoever and the old SBs never missed a beat during my stint of the 15 years given their periodic preventative maintenance. Just luck I guess!

I will close with perhaps the leading factor of not liking chips laying around is that the little woman and my bride of almost 35 years doesn’t like me tracking them into the house and getting them into the carpet. I would wager that some of you have likewise “chip sensitive” little women. HA!
Have a good day sir. -- Dan

I have had a Queen City pedestal grinder for twenty years or so--not now in use but stored in a nearby closed shop. This is a 220 v, two phase machine, ten inch wheels, I think. It doesn't have a base like those pictured, as I recall, though it does have a decorative maker's plate.

Northernsinger

Back