What's new
What's new

circa 1900 15" Hendey friction shaper dismantling questions

kqua

Aluminum
I have an old 15" Hendey shaper #765 I'm restoring. A couple of teeth are broken on one of the ram's drive gears. I need to remove the drive gears so I can repair the teeth.
Don't want to break anything. Any thoughts on removing them? There is a collar on both sides of the gear shaft-it doesn't move. Also bad is the drive gear on the side of the machine. It has cracked webs which I may vee and braze. One rack is bad. And the tool bit compound was broken on one side- someone pinned it, making it functional, but down the road I may make another. Any other info on this shaper would be great.
Tried to upload photos, but just had a spinning ball- maybe it's Mac's Safari?
thanks for any help

Attachments

• DSC03590.jpg
    DSC03590.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC03591.jpg
    DSC03591.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 193
kqua:

This shaper appears to have been made prior to 1895 and it was during the 1892 to 1896 period that several design changes were made.
It is going to take a fair amount of spare time to go through the drawings from this period to determine the easiest way to take the
machine apart without doing further damage. Whether you decide to repair or replace the damaged parts, I would like to have the
original drawings in front of me to answer your questions. To make things a bit easier, would you post more pictures of the machine
from all angles, including the top? As things proceed, I will ask you for the tooth count, width and diametric pitch of the gears.
A good picture of the operating handle will help fix a manufacturing date. While the drawings go back to the 1880s, the surviving
Serial Number Records only go back to January 1,1900. A combination of Serial Number interpolation and changes on the drawings,allow
for a reasonably accurate date of manufacture.

Hendeyman

Back