What's new
What's new

Interesting GE motor circa 1916

Toolbert

Stainless
The attached pics are of an antique GE motor, per the nameplate,
'Alternating Current Motor'
'Adjustable Varying Speed Brush Shifting'

Patent dates are 1909 through 1916. It weighs about 120 lbs. Until a few years ago it was in service, powering an acquaintance's table saw. Indeed, you can vary the direction and speed by moving the swiveling yoke that houses the brushes.

Please help me figure out what to do with it. It's far too cool to scrap. I don't need a restoration project. I have no idea of its historical or collectors' interest, if any.

ge_motor_1.jpg

ge_motor_2.jpg

ge_motor_3.jpg

It's rather unfortunate, but as my mother explained, you can't save all the puppies you find. It is cool, hopefully you'll find someone you can give it to who will give it a great home, otherwise don't let it alter the course of your life...there's probably been a bazillion of this thing scrapped.:(

Stuart

I have a later one, probably between the Wars Manufacture. It now powers a large buffer.

Mine is a repulsion-induction. Brush rigging looks similar when the covers are removed.

Dad had a generator test stand powered with one similar to yours.

Note that it is also reversible by shifting the brush rigging with the lever.

If you cannot find someone to take it, let me know. You are only a few miles and a ferry ride from my shop. I would give it a restore job and put on one of my old machines.

motor

Looks like what you have there is something known as a repulsion motor.The reversing and speed variation are all done with the movable brushes.Those motors are rare ducks for sure.

Thanks for the posts. As for its fate, 3 folks have offered to clean it up and put it to use with a period machine, so no need for further offers. Will respond in order of requests. take care,

Bob

Gentlemen, I have recently acquired what I believe to be the same motor. I would very much appreciate any leads to links with information about this motor and how to clean it up and bring it back to life. Thank you. Alden

Back