What's new
What's new

Crusher info?

mldave

Plastic
Probably on the wrong forum,but thought I'd ask anyway.I've bought an old small rock crusher,on one side it reads in the casting F.W.Braun Los Angeles and San Francisco,Ca...on the other side lightning ore crusher.The Bico-Braun company has no info so far on this.Anyone have any leads,photo's,drawings,links?...thanks,Dave.

You are definately in the wrong forum but what the heck, I'll have a go. You don't say what type of crusher it is but Braun was not a manufacturer of production crushers. It is likely a laboratory crusher for assayers use...posssibly a small jaw? It could also be a disc pulverizer with a stationary disc and one rotating disc. These were used to grind small fist size gravel to powder. I've also seen some really small cone crushers for labs.

Some of these small crushers were hand powered but latter ones have electric motors. I wouldn't expect to find any parts for it and by their nature crushers have a way of tearing themselves up so you will get pretty good at hard facing if you want to crush much rock with it. Ed.

The first summer out of high-school in 74 I drove a dump-truck
for the highway deptment.........seasonal help.
No asignment and you helped out with the quarry.

The crusher seemed be to parts of at at least two monsteretts.
And was bandaged together with about a half-ton of welding rods.
And had odd things grafted to it.

I had fun but rarely knew much about make / model / nomenclature-proper.
m1m

Rockcrusher,it is a small jaw crusher..motorized or hand cranked.Similar to the Bico chipmunck.Perhaps your correct on the lab equipment thought as F.W. Braun started in 1911 selling and making lab setups.Consists of ten numbered parts,p-1 through p-10.But Bico-Braun said none of their crushers had those series of numbers.I will get them pics of the unit and perhaps the info will be uncovered.Believe this crusher is from the 1920's at the latest...thanks,Dave.

And yes the jaws are already hardfaced as this unit was purchased and likely used in the motherlode gold country of California.Basically a sampling crusher or for small production of high grade quartz gold ore.It was bought by a friend in Nevada city,Ca. and I live south of there in Angels Camp,Ca.

Sounds like you've got an interesting piece of history there. Sometimes I think it would be neat to piece together a complete model crusher using small lab crushers and screens...then I think again and slap myself. They are kind of cool though. :) Ed.

In the 1920's it was not unheard of for the crushers to have the dealers name cast on them and not the manufactuer.

40 years ago we owned a Leuleland 18"x36" babbit jaw crusher, the the name cast on it
was "Howard Cooper", a well known heavy equipment dealer then in Portland, OR

IT taught me how to work with babbit, as we had to pour a new bearing for it it,---about 12" long and on a 4 in shaft or so and then I got to spend a day with a scraper
scrapingit in so it would run without heating.

rv,

You must be an old joker like me,..you cannot buy scrapers in Australia now,..have to make them out of old files.

Regards,

Alex

haven't needed to buy one---it's just on the shelf <grin>

We had to do a little scrounging to come up with a pot big enough
to melt 20 lbs of babbit in..... but a neighbor had one.:D

And I thought that I was the only one around daft enough to part with some hard earned cash for a lump of old iron like this.:nutter:

Having said that, I place the only tender of $25 for the Chipmonk crusher, vee belts and 1hp motor, although that was 12 + years ago. Still it was a bargain at the time. I constructed the trolley.

The Braun was used to crush coal for my blacksmiths forge.

The reason for it being in a partially dismantled state is that it is being fitted with a single cylinder steam engine and used as a working display at our local Steam Engine Society meetings.

Pete.
dsc03245h.jpg

dsc03243d.jpg

That is a pretty unique jaw crusher you've got there mldave. Most all jaws have the eccentric of the shaft passing through the pitman imparting an eliptical motion with a lower toggle plate contubuting to the action just like the Chipmunk that KiwiPete posted the picture of. Yours seems to be activated from a hinge plate that is possibly driven by a con rod hooked to the shaft? This would give a true back and forth motion with possibly less scrubbing action but would seem to be a weeker more complicated design.

Hard to tell from just the one picture though. The old el-jay gyro jaw tried to get a true back and forth motion by placing the pitman between two stationary jaws...it had dies on both sides and two seperate crushing chambers. They made a very distinct sound because rock was being crushed throughout a revolution. The gyro jaw was used more in place of cones or tertiary crushers than as a primary though. Anyway that Braun is quite unusual. Ed.

IMG_16351.jpg
the two rear discs push a rod which tighten/loosen the jaw plate.Bico-Braun only had specs on a 1917 lightning ore crusher and this is an earlier model.Their archive has found no further pivs,drawings or info,as yet.Works very good.

post-3069-125790458869_thumb2.jpg
.....belted up to a 1/2 horsepower washing machine motor,on stand with slots in the angle iron to tension/loosen the 65 innch belt.

F.W Braun jaw crusher

Nice to know there are other interested in these units.
I have a 1902 Braun Simplex Ore Crusher mfd by F.W Braun, Los Angeles and San Fransisco. The Jaw is 2" x 3" wide. (Assayer Model?)
It has been repaired (welded) at sometime and has had the original spoke flywheels removed and a solid hand crank flywheel put on the one side allowing it to be turned by hand. The present flywheel is too big and rubs againt the main body. Mine also has what appear to be part numbers starting with the letter F and a number such as 1,8,9 etc. Not all parts have numbers but do seem to be original parts based on their casting shape. patina and picture of other Braun models.
I found my unit in a scrap yard in Nelson BC ready for the crusher its self. I have hade mine working but am looking for missing adjustment knob/ handle/ screw and would love to find a pair of small flywheels to fit it.

Happy hunting

It's an old thread but just came across it and believe I have the same one. It does look to be a Simplex laboratory Ore Crusher and yes you are correct, I believe mine also has the dealers name on a brass plate that's too hard to read. I'll update a better photo when I get the chance. Nothing like posting to a 8 year old thread:)

This is the only pic I currently have of it but it's a thing of beauty when running, it's astonishingly quiet and very smooth.
36580594662_0a1fb4bc3b_o.jpg

Back