What's new
What's new

current going rate for shaper

marka12161

Stainless
It's my understanding from reading lots of opinions on this board are that shapers are generally considered obsolete from a commercial perspective or at best, highly specialized for a fairly narrow range of operations. However, from the perspective of someone with old iron disease, these things certainly have their appeal. I've managed to convince myself that i have a spot in the shop where i could fit a 12 or maybe even 16 inch shaper and not lose too much useful space.

There's what looks to be a nice Hendey 12 inch unit on ebay located in central michigan (for all i know the seller may be a forum member). However, it looks to be a bit pricey compared to lathes milling machines of similar vintage. Recognizing that the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it, my question is, what is the concensus opinion on the going rate for a vintage motor driven shaper in decent condition (maybe needs a good cleaning/painting)?

My backlog of machine rehab/cleanup projects is about three deep so i'm in no hurry. Having said that, it's fun to keep an eye out for a nice addition if it can be had at the market rate.

Mark.

It's my understanding from reading lots of opinions on this board are that shapers are generally considered obsolete from a commercial perspective or at best, highly specialized for a fairly narrow range of operations. However, from the perspective of someone with old iron disease, these things certainly have their appeal. I've managed to convince myself that i have a spot in the shop where i could fit a 12 or maybe even 16 inch shaper and not lose too much useful space.

There's what looks to be a nice Hendey 12 inch unit on ebay located in central michigan (for all i know the seller may be a forum member). However, it looks to be a bit pricey compared to lathes milling machines of similar vintage. Recognizing that the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it, my question is, what is the concensus opinion on the going rate for a vintage motor driven shaper in decent condition (maybe needs a good cleaning/painting)?

My backlog of machine rehab/cleanup projects is about three deep so i'm in no hurry. Having said that, it's fun to keep an eye out for a nice addition if it can be had at the market rate.

Mark.

About 60.00 / ton

Well, I wouldn't pay more than a thousand for a shaper. Some people would pay to have it hauled away, or only pay scrap. The only ones that seem to consistently go for any money are the South Bend and other mini shapers, as they can be run in a small hobby shop. Unless it's really nice, $500 and down.

Also, in New York, I think they show up pretty regularly, so no need to look far afield. Try and get one with a proper shaper vise, they are expensive afterward.

Figure out what you want in a shaper(size weight, vintage), and I might be able to hook you up with one. Some of the other guys could too.

Jon P.

Yeah, make sure it has a vise, I wouldn't give too much without. I would/have paid more than a thousand for a big shaper,(over 30 inch) but that is just me.
A standard 16 inch, anywhere from scrap to 500, maybe, depending on condition.

I wish the market was still high on the little ones, like it was 25-30 years ago, my A**** would be for sale quick.

Well, I wouldn't pay more than a thousand for a shaper. Some people would pay to have it hauled away, or only pay scrap. The only ones that seem to consistently go for any money are the South Bend and other mini shapers, as they can be run in a small hobby shop. Unless it's really nice, $500 and down.

Also, in New York, I think they show up pretty regularly, so no need to look far afield. Try and get one with a proper shaper vise, they are expensive afterward.

Figure out what you want in a shaper(size weight, vintage), and I might be able to hook you up with one. Some of the other guys could too.

Jon P.

As some have said, i was guessing $500-ish. Like many, my biggest constraint in floor space. I can allocate about 6 ft by 3 1/2 ft to a shaper. I have a phase converter so can run 3 phase. I'm thinking 2000 - 3000 lbs but could go up to close to 4000. No place to put a countershaft so definitely not a flat belt unit. I'm thinking WWII +-
10 yrs vintage. I am definitely in no hurry so i'm willing to wait for something with a versatile table and a vise. I rather enjoy the tear-down, clean up process but don't want to deal with something that's been abused. My boy and i enjoy the road trip to pick up and haul the unit but would like to keep the drive to something within 4 hrs of Syracuse NY. Could go as far as Mass/CT/RI but that would be an over-nighter. Again, no hurry. Thanks guys.

Hendey is a FINE shaper. once you learn to use one, you realize where they can often best a mill in some applications. They are useless as a production shop machine, but quite handy in repair or hobby shops where a lot of one offs are the game.

I had a very nice Atl*s 7" machine that the PO had restored and had all the accessories except the belt guard. I bought it for $500 and sold it a year later for $700, too small for me. I then got a 12" Hendey universal that needed cleaned up but ran well and had all the handles, vise etc. I think I sold it for $600 because I had/have a 24" Cincinnati that is in good shape with all the extras as well. It was local to me and I got it for $500.

I'd possibly pay a little more for one if it was in really good shape and had some feature that made it more useful to me like a power down feed or a tracer etc.

If you are patient I would think that you will spend as much on moving one as to buy it.

There's what looks to be a nice Hendey 12 inch unit on ebay located in central michigan. However, it looks to be a bit pricey compared to lathes milling machines of similar vintage. Recognizing that the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it.

I was looking at that one. Someone must have gotten it as its no longer listed on eBay. I don't know if anyone noticed but it was one with the aluminum ram.

Be aware, the bigger the machine, generally speaking, the lower the price, especially since scrap prices are down from their highs a few years ago.

I bought my 24" GEMCO, a machine that is in outstanding mechanical condition, for $300. And that was when scrap was through the roof about five years ago.

Within limits, I try to obtain the largest machine size possible, given anticipated jobs, space, etc. Having too small a tool to do the work is worse than too big.

Be aware, the bigger the machine, generally speaking, the lower the price, especially since scrap prices are down from their highs a few years ago.

I bought my 24" GEMCO, a machine that is in outstanding mechanical condition, for $300. And that was when scrap was through the roof about five years ago.

Within limits, I try to obtain the largest machine size possible, given anticipated jobs, space, etc. Having too small a tool to do the work is worse than too big.

I subscribe to this rule as well. My main constraint is floor space. I'm fortunate in that I've got a good set up for moving and unloading machines.

I got a 16" Cincinnati Belt drive 1910 year model that is I really good shape. Has all the handles intact vice,and couple of tools for 400. Then saw a 16"Hendey geardrive 1948 model. Has all the handles vice and has all the options. Rapid traverse power down feed and universal table for 350.
To far away for you but saw one down south a guy is just trying to find a home for instead of junking. Think it was with some stuff he aqquired. 16 Cincinnati They are out there cheap just a little rare in my opinion. I see some that are going way high but they are still sitting there almost a year later

I got a 16" Cincinnati Belt drive 1910 year model that is I really good shape. Has all the handles intact vice,and couple of tools for 400. Then saw a 16"Hendey geardrive 1948 model. Has all the handles vice and has all the options. Rapid traverse power down feed and universal table for 350.
To far away for you but saw one down south a guy is just trying to find a home for instead of junking. Think it was with some stuff he aqquired. 16 Cincinnati They are out there cheap just a little rare in my opinion. I see some that are going way high but they are still sitting there almost a year later

I would be interested in contact info for owners of anything currently available. Paying for shipping is not necessarily out of the question. Investigating shipping charges is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. You need a weight, volume and source/destination to get a shipping price.

I just purchased a Smith & Mills this weekend locally in Texas for $400. Usually machine prices are a little higher in this part of the country. I know not much about it, the stroke is in the area of 14 to 16". Footprint is about 5'x 3'. Single phase 240.

I had in mind cutting key slots or splines on ID's prior to seeing the listing, and for the cost its hard to go wrong imo.

I was planning on posting in this subsection some pics and info when i figure out a little more on it.

For me, a sixteen inch is a minimum size. A twenty or twenty four is about ideal. I ended up with a thirty, in great shape......in a moment of weakness.

If you really have the time and the interest I would scour the rust belt Craigslist's. The upper Midwestern states like Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. I see all sizes and shapes of shapers on these lists for little or more than scrap prices. Last year a shop in our area sold a 16" Cincinnati in excellent condition for $250.00. Another local area shop sold a 7" AMMCO for $175.00. They come up all the time, and in most cases the larger ones are going for scrap prices or less.

Both of these machines came on the market because the shop owners were downsizing and modernizing their equipment. The owner of the Cincinnati had bugged me for years to buy the beast, but one shaper in the shop is enough for me.

Just a cursory check on some of the larger cities in the Midwest shows at least 4 for sale, and yes the bigger they are the cheaper they are.

If you really have the time and the interest I would scour the rust belt Craigslist's. The upper Midwestern states like Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. I see all sizes and shapes of shapers on these lists for little or more than scrap prices. Last year a shop in our area sold a 16" Cincinnati in excellent condition for $250.00. Another local area shop sold a 7" AMMCO for $175.00. They come up all the time, and in most cases the larger ones are going for scrap prices or less.

Both of these machines came on the market because the shop owners were downsizing and modernizing their equipment. The owner of the Cincinnati had bugged me for years to buy the beast, but one shaper in the shop is enough for me.

Just a cursory check on some of the larger cities in the Midwest shows at least 4 for sale, and yes the bigger they are the cheaper they are.

Good tip. Thanks.

I paid 250 for a Lutter & Geis 16 while scrap was at its highest.............hard to buy it any cheaper than what scrap price is at the time. My problem, is living in a void of machine tools..........just about everything involves a road trip.

I paid $100 for my 12" Vernon with motor and LARGEshaper vise. It had set out over the winter with a tarp partially over it and need to be taken mostly apart and the rust cleaned. I know I lucked out on price and it has been a good tool and more fun than a milling machine. I have done a few internal keyways and recently cut the V shaped teeth on a small ratchet wheel along with some things I would normally do on my mill.

I got a 7" thou shall remain nameless shaper apart in boxes, 30 mins from Syracuse, you can have it for a hundy, just sayin'

Back