hfgjfg.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 690
  • fghgf.JPG
    fghgf.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 4,685
  • poj.JPG
    poj.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 4,024
Looks like the 42' boring mill, built in house.
Quite something to see in action, I did my apprenticeship there. At the time couldn't take any pictures in the shop, neat to see one now.

They might not say how fast it actually goes, same as you don't get a straight answer on how deep a sub goes.

Thanks for posting ... great carriers ... I've lots of superb memories of these carriers including flying on and off.

Famous of all ... CVN-68 (USS Nimitz) ... I really do hope though that there will never be a USS DT!

John:typing:

Can I just wave the flag a little bit. The angled flight deck was a British invention I believe.

Regards Tyrone.

Right you are Tyrone, I lifted this from wikipedia:
The angled flight deck was invented by Royal Navy Captain (later Rear Admiral) Dennis Cambell, as an outgrowth of design study initially begun in the winter of 1944–1945. A committee of senior Royal Navy officers decided that the future of naval aviation was in jets, whose higher speeds required that the carriers be modified to "fit" their needs.

Right you are Tyrone, I lifted this from wikipedia:

I understood one of the advantages of the angled flight deck was you could both take off and land aircraft at the same time.

Our two new aircraft carriers are pretty good looking also. If you guys can get your fingers out and build us some aircraft for them we'll be good to go.

Regards Tyrone.

Carriers these days are like battleships in WW2.

Sitting ducks for modern weaponry Just as the ship launched plane heralded the end of the battleship. Modern anti-ship missiles means the end of the aircraft carrier. They will only be good for proxy wars.

They might not say how fast it actually goes, same as you don't get a straight answer on how deep a sub goes.

Grigg -

I believe that is correct. I'm old Army but many capabilities are listed something like 'speed in excess of XX MPH'. And we won't even get into confirming or denying that one has ever heard the word 'fill in the blank'.

Not that some real number/fact won't be revealed in the dumbest way possible. Since the place is closed and the information was declassified I can tell this story now. I grew up in rural upstate NY, right where I live now. Seneca Army Depot is about 50 miles or so from here. Back in the 60s people would chain themselves to the fence claiming there were nukes stored there. Government would do the usual neither confirm nor deny answer. New York Times articles and pictures, etc. Of course having a major air strip that is not on the charts there, a battalion of MPs, etc. would kind of tilt one's opinion - but actual location of such weapons was always classified information. So after graduating from college, I'm attending my officer basic course (I was originally Ordnance) and they are trying to get us who were 2 year active duty commitment types to sign on for an additional year. Part of the pitch was pick the place to go for 3 years and here is the school you will go to (this was tail end of Nam which did influence some as to decisions such as this). I'm going down the list and totally crack up laughing. Of course the other guys ask what is so funny about this boring list. Well, one option was to spend 3 years at Seneca Army Depot - after you attended nuclear weapons maintenance school. The document was not classified. But confirmed to this guy what was really sitting up between the lakes.

I've always been of the opinion that nothing can be kept secret if more than one person knows something from a practical standpoint. Not that I condone it, but people are people. Same reason I doubt most conspiracy theories.

Dale

Back