What's new

trombone oiler for shaper

wlbrown

Hot Rolled
HELLO TO ALL,
i am searching for information on trombone
oilers for shapers. i have heard about
these, but have only seen one. the shaper
i worked on many years ago did not have one.
wlbrown

Please note that I am assuming here that I understand what you mean by "Trombone Oiler."

Back in my wayward youth a large shaper in the shop was used for really heavy metal reduction in a production mode.

There was a device hanging off the left side of the RAM (when looking from the front) that, whenever the ram moved rearward sprinkled a very slight mist of oil on the work piece.

I made "rearward" bold because the Craftmaster that ran that portion of the shop told me that spraying while the ram was moving rearward gave just a tiny bit better distribution of the mist over the work piece and a tiny bit longer for the cooler oil to help keep the work piece cooler.

It was a shop-made device as it had a workman's name deeply scratched on the piston's exterior.

Stan Db

the part i am refering to is hooked
directly to the automatic oil
distribution tower,and is a tube that
telescopes inside itself, with a radius
on the end. it carries oil to the front
of the machine. the reason it is called a trombone,is because it looks exactly like one. my question was i have only seen one on a cincinnati shaper,but why are they not installed on all cincinnati shapers.
thanks for the reply.
wlbrown

THANKS ANDY,
at some pont cincinnati must have removed
the trombone, and changed the system.
otherwise, i guess we would see more of those.
i would like to know if this was done,when, or what year, or model the change was made. as i
stated in my post, i ran a 24in cincinnati,
and it did not have one, but it seemed to get
plenty of lurication.
wlbrown

My Cincinnati 20" does have one. It think mine was built in '37. Near as I can tell the whole purpose was a means to get oil to the recipricating parts without a hose constantly flexing. Later version had the hose.
MVC-006S.jpg

Edit- The trombone pumps the oil to the ram adjustment Clamp/nut and via tubes to the pins on top.

Charlie

HELLO TO ALL,
we are in the process of giving a 24in
cincinnati to one the members here. this
one has a trombone. i would take this machine,
but i just don't have room, and i am getting
too old to be trying to get it up, and running.
thanks for all the replies, and good luck.
wlbrown

To the new owner,

If the shaper hasn't been run in a while, take the trombone off and pour some oil into the hole at the rear of the outer pipe. Let it soak into the guts on the front end of the works. Mine were dried out and I suppose the first time I fired it up (dry) the guts were destroyed. I had to rig up some real off the wall stuff to get it to pump again.

Good Luck!

Charlie

Back