What's new
What's new

D&M Machine Works Economy Lathe

Galane

Hot Rolled
Looks quite like a Rockford, but different.

In Portland. Blurry pictures. Economy Lathe, lots of extra parts (needs work)

All I've found on D&M Machine works is a notice about incorporation in Torrance, CA in 1956 and a scan of an advert for a YMCA community breakfast from 1960 where D&M was a sponsor, with a note that their tractor rollers need no greasing.

Look here:

Page Title

That machine has a taper attachment... no clue if it has a tailstock... Worth a look if not too far to go, and you want that size machine.....

It is a Rockford, 1940's 16 inch would be my guess.

allan

Yes, it resembles a Rockford, but even in that 'fuzzy' photo, there are differences.

It would be nice to have a collection of clear photos of that lathe....it is certainly an uncommon variety.

Its possible to take a guess, based on the sheer number of specialty shops in the L. A. area, in the '30's to '70's.

This is purely 'guess-work', to be sure, but could that firm have 'reconditioned' older flat-belt lathes, with a replacement geared headstock made by themselves?

That would seem a plausible response to a market demand, I should think......but this is pure speculation, to be sure. I do remember seeing a 1917-ish vintage heavy pattern Axelson which had been refitted with a 1940 vintage geared headstock assembly, but that one was done at the Axelson works.

cheers

Carla

If you look at the link I showed, a bit down the page the 16" Rockford looks identical in most details.

This was my great grandpa and grandpas manafactured lathe. I can provide more info, they had a foundry and complete plant to make any metal parts. Blast furnaces, rubber plant etc.

Back