What's new
What's new

Deming Pump Company electric motor restoration questions and assistance

StillWatter

Plastic
Hi all
This is my first post. I've enjoyed reading the forum for sometime now and decided to join.
I enjoy fixing things up (restoration is a goal but I wouldn't consider myself that good). I recently acquired an old repulsion/induction motor made for the Deming Pump Company and it has given me fits during disassembly.

image.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone knows who made this motor for Deming so I can get a schematic or manual to refer to? I think GE made the motor but I'm not sure.
Unfortunately, I have clumsily messed up the Babbitt bearing and so my dreams of completing this at home have now gone out the window since I haven't yet bought my dream antique Hendey lathe to restore. I really could use a recommendation for a shop or person that can repair/replace the Babbitt. I live in Jackson,MS and have had hit or miss experiences so I'd like to have a reccomendation if possible. Internals look pretty good.
I had wanted this to be a good restoration thread but it seems my first post is more of a call for assistance.
Thank you in advance and for all of the great threads I've read over time.
Regards
Matt

Did you "mess up" the babbit by sliding the end bell, bearing and all, off the armature shaft? Perhaps without first deburring the shaft where the coupling had scarred it? (If so, you are not the first person to do this!)

Is this Babbit in the form of removable inserts, or is it poured in place?

Pictures, please, showing what's wrong with the babbit.

Hi SouthBendModel34
Thank you for your reply. Im embarrassed to say that problems are of my own doing and only began to surface with the difficulties encountered removing the pulley. I used heat and penetrating oil but despite the set screw coming out ok, the pulley wouldn't come off. It ruined one puller and my frustration and the heat lead me to lose my senses and reach for the drawer with the BAH. That and another puller finally got it off and the a armature from the cover..

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

The rear came off ok, not sure if the Babbitt is bad or not.
image.jpg

Before everything went south I marked the case and catalogued everything. I need to replace some switch wiring and add a ground. ill reply with some photos of the process before it turned into a soup sandwich..

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Here are photos of the process before it went south.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'd planned to return this to original configuration for the most part. I'm not certain about some of the contemporary wiring (red & white wires), perhaps a shortcut for a ground? It doesn't matter right now because of the bearing issue but I figured I'd post up photos.

*im not sure why the photos appear upside down here. I'll try to fix this, they are ok on my end before uploading.

Thank you for the number Ray. I figured it was a 20's or earlier motor and I though they shut down or were sold off many years ago. I hope to get one of the old pumps sometime in the future but for now I need to get the bearings squared away

Back