What's new
What's new

Depression Era Kennedy Machinist Box

FrogWithWings

Banned
I haven't seen many of these and just thought I'd post some pictures.

DSC05195.jpg

DSC05196.jpg

DSC05197.jpg

FrogWithWings - really? Great handle!

That is a super Kennedy! I have never seen one with hoop handles and the decal logo on yours.

Thank you for sharing!

:cheers:

Nice chest.... that is the 1st style machinist chest Kennedy offered. Somewhere I have information that gives the date they introduced it... I'll have to look for that.

Yours in better shape than mine! and it took me years to find one.... good find and thanks for sharing it.

Kennedy is having their 100th anniversary this year. The factory and retail outlet is just 30 miles from me and I have been there many times to take advantage of discounted items. The outlet includes a museum displaying many of their early products.

Larry

Thanks guys and I would be curious to know the definitive date of it's introduction. I can't recall how I came to the conclusion it was about stock market crash time, but, somehow I managed to convince myself of such.

It actually closes up reasonably square and true with all the latches working, it has a latch on each side. I just propped it up to snap a quick picture after I cleaned piles of stuff off and out of it.

Nice find, FrogwithWings

If someone can date Kennedy boxes, I would be curious about the green wrinkle boxes. I have one with the same logo as FrogwithWings' and a pin-up calender from 1941 or 42 and one that someone painted over the outside surface with house paint.:angry:

Sorry, I don't have better pictures.

fcf97ba3.jpg

d96c187c.jpg

Thanks

Thank you FrogWithWings for posting the picture of your Kennedy tool box. And thanks rivett608 for posting the company history. Very interesting stuff.
toolles

FrogWithWings:

The bail drawer pulls with oval backplates remind me of hardware used on classic household furniture, I think the Duncan Phyfe style.

Kennedy made a lot of neat stuff over the years:

*Cantilever-tray steel chests which open up like a fisherman's tackle box.

* Boxes for flat "cut" photographic film packs, as used in a Speed Graphic camera.

* Special-purpose boxes for Uncle Sam. I've got one marked "M6 Rangefinder Tool Kit", which obvously refers to some sort of artillery rangefinder. (I do not know what sort of a rangefinder an M6 was, but the list of contents on the interior of the lid makes me think it's an optical instrument.)

+1 on "thanks for posting this" -JRR

Back