What's new
What's new

Does anybody know what this mill is called?

AlfredLyon

Aluminum
A friend sent this picture of a mill to me and asked if I knew what it was called and what it was used for. I think it looks like some kind of special tool makers mill. Any ideas?

odd mill.jpg

It looks like a kissing cousin to an Ames Triplex, but it isn't a triplex. (3-in-1 machine from the 30's. Lathe, mill, drill press.) The neat thing about it, and this thing apparently, was that you could adjust the headstock to drill/mill at any angle you liked, by rolling it along the big curved arm. Made angle drilling *really* easy.

Never seen one like this before, just struck by the resemblance to the Triplex.
For whatever that's worth.

-Brian

Looking at the size of the screw and bolt heads, the size of the handles, the size of the motor and cord, and the fact that it seems to be sitting on a white tabletop, I'd say it's a miniature. Functional and beautiful to be sure! I want one. :-)

Cool machine, I'd be all over one of those like a fat kid on a doughnut.

I'm in the middle of a little job on the Bridgeport that'd be perfect for one. At the moment, offsetting the bpt head so I can cut a 50deg dovetail with a 45deg cutter- pita having to loosen the head letting it flop around while adjusting the angle, lock it up and who knows where the adjustment goes.. I'm dubious of the scale on the machine so I have to trust the vernier protractor w/ all that reach up to the cutter? ick. Going to try one the adjustable angle tables w/ quill vertical and see if that sets up better. I really like this machine's precision adjustment on the spindle angle.

Looks like it would not be real rigid with that LOOOOONG,rather thinnish arm supporting the head. And,the motor had better run VERY smoothly!

Looks like it would not be real rigid with that LOOOOONG,rather thinnish arm supporting the head. And,the motor had better run VERY smoothly!

I'll aagree its probably not. Looks like rigidity is not the main purpose but accuracy of head angle is. I've never seen one before.

Brent

A friend sent this picture of a mill to me and asked if I knew what it was called and what it was used for. I think it looks like some kind of special tool makers mill. Any ideas?

View attachment 151821
i have seen gear cutters with that ability. usually bevel gear cutters have a way of adjusting for different angles. usually swings sideways not up and down direction though

A fellow over on the OWWM site made himself a neat copy of this machine. Unfortunately you have to be logged in to the site to see it.

Irby

Real nifty little machine tool, I can imagine using it in the living room.
When my dad and mom were in one room in a nursing home we bought him one of those little aluminum lathes they sell, he used it right up the time he died.

Considering it's diminutive size, I'd expect that rigidity was completely adequate for the miniature work it was intended for.

It does have an advantage over the Van Norman design, in that the method of head movement allows for greater daylight under the spindle when in vertical mode. This sacrifices rigidity, of course, but on a machine this small that's not nearly as great an issue. Abene overcame this limitation of the Van Norman design by designing their ram to travel in an angled plane.

Andy

And I think my wife might be persuaded to allow such a small mill into the house, but certainly not a Van Norman.

It has amazing value as a collectible, in this time of waning small shop production small old machine tools are very quickly achieving a new collector status among many people, and they want them functional and original.
One needs massive rigidity for massive cuts, but a mill like that was designed for instrument and clock work, mostly brass, and it is certainly rigid enough for that, and more.

Back