What's new
What's new

Does anybody use lantern rocker tool post?

kenscabs

Cast Iron
View attachment 213076Title says it all. I got this set with my lathe 30 years ago. Every 5 years I look it over and think wow, this is cool and then put it back on the shelf for another 5 years. Tons of this stuff on fleabay. Looks like most just sits there. Can't imagine every using one.

As Illinoyance noted, the lantern, with an Armstrong tool holder, is really handy for sneaking into near-inaccessible places.

It's also handy for producing convex surfaces by rotating the compound and can also turn concave surfaces by the same technique (on small lathes). 4-way and QCTP equipped lathes cannot turn convex surfaces using the compound hence the ever-popular-home-machinist-ball-turning-projects.

Not that it's often required to turn either convex or concave configurations but just in case ....

It also makes a rigid setup for small lathes by placing the cutting tool in the lantern with a spacer under the tool to bring it to the correct height (no Armstrong tool holder).

I use a four-way on one lathe and an Aloris knockoff on the other but still find myself using the lantern maybe 5% of the time.

View attachment 213076Title says it all. I got this set with my lathe 30 years ago. Every 5 years I look it over and think wow, this is cool and then put it back on the shelf for another 5 years. Tons of this stuff on fleabay. Looks like most just sits there. Can't imagine every using one.
OH, THE HORRER. I actually HAD to use these from 1954 to 1963. All old school stupidity. I don't think ANY manual lathe manufacturer EVER made even 2 identical lathes that had a consistant dimention from the top of the compound to the spindle center line.Hence the rocker toolpost. The Aloris was much better.Edwin Dirnbeck

A lantern post is useful at times for turning polymer (rubber) process rolls that are covered in relatively low durometer material. The combination of HSS cutter shape and vertical tool angle adjustment allows a smooth and predictable surface cut. Regards, Clark

I weld a chunk of square stock to the side of my Armstrong holders so I can use them in my toolpost to reach those places.

Ed.

Much to almost everyone here's horror, I'll say I use mine all the time... and Armstrong tool holders as well. I don't have a QCP and don't feel I need one – or at least not enough to pay what a good one would cost. Now... almost everything I do is a "one-off". I am rarely in a great hurry. I only use HSS cutting tools (which I grind myself). My lathe is a 15", belt driven Sidney. Also, I've now set the lantern tool post up so many times that I fail to appreciate the "difficulty" associated with it. I don't have any problem at all locating a tool on the center line and I like being able to make little adjustments in the angle between the tool and the work piece.

I have made a few jobs where being able to change the tool easily, with repeatability, would have been useful... maybe that happens once or twice a year and most of the time there are easy work-arounds for those situations. In a production setting I can see the usefulness. Where every job is effectively "making it up as you go" I think they are much less useful.

I used them occasionally on my old ATW 14" which by luck had a lantern holder of just the right diameter for a series of 5" diameter ~1/4" thick steel washers to slip over such that the tool would rest horizontally upon them and be clamped. I put enough washers on to bring the tool up to about work centerline and the setup was very stiff. OTOH its hard to beat the easy repeatability of the quick-change posts so thats what I moved to pretty quickly- I swap tools often, having a holder for left turning and one for facing both with insert tooling, and a few others with a variety of HSS bits. The lantern holders are particularly annoying with boring bars which work really well in quickchange toolholders.

I picked up a couple of old Emco turret toolholders, nice enough so made up the t-nuts ans spacers to use them. They were not a big win compared to a set of prepared quickchange toolholders but a step up in speed from a pile of armstrong holders and a lantern toolpost. If I ever come across a suitable McCroskey or one the snazzy indexing style turret posts I'll give them a try again.. those are nice tools for sure.

Having about ten tools sharp, at height and ready to go with a QCTP, I can't imagine using a lantern for much of anything. Hate the things. OTOH, I work with a machinist that hates the QCTP and thinks a 4-way with little pieces of shim is the greatest thing ever invented. Whatever makes you happy and gets your work done.

Only when there's no alternative, ...........it's my belief that along with adjustable reamers, lantern toolposts are the work of the devil, .......BOTOH, there are times in this life one has to sup with him.

I have quite a few that came with machines over the years and I only got rid of a couple duplicates to a friend that needed some. Yes I use them enough to justify keeping them on hand. I have also done the welded block on one to put in the Aloris holder.

I saw a tool post that had an adjustable height base for the Armstrong holders. It had a threaded ring on the base that you could adjust the tool height easily with the holder staying flat. I have always intended to make one but haven't.

Found the pic I saved....

Attachments

• adjustable toolpost stand thingy.jpg
    adjustable toolpost stand thingy.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,851
I have nothing BUT a lantern for my 18" L&S. I don't want anything else. As 99panhard says, if you are doing production, the QC is nice, but for typical one-off repair and custom work, the lantern is great. I have every type of holder imaginable, including boring bar holders that mount in the lantern, knurling tools, a radius cutter, threading tools, as well as left, right hand and center turning and cutoff holders. I'd spend thousands of dollars setting up this lathe with a QC and similar range of holders. Can't justify it and don't even want to.

Now, I'm not using tiny little #00 holders that should be on a 9" South Bend, these are #2 that have a shank that is 1 1/4"x5/8". They don't slip, or creep, or chatter. The toolpost itself is actually the original one that came with the lathe in 1918. It'll hog off material like nobody's business. When the cut I can take is limited by the width of the cutting edge, horsepower available, and the rigidity of the material, I don't see where the QC is going to gain me anything in that department, either. The lantern actually lets you get the cutter in closer to the compound and isn't as radially offset as the QC, as well. I have seen many machines turn the QC on the toolpost under heavy cuts because of the left or right hand overhang.

I do have a QC on my 10" SB and have offered several times to trade it straight up for an appropriate sized lantern with full tooling. No takers yet.

I have nothing BUT a lantern for my 18" L&S. I don't want anything else. As 99panhard says, if you are doing production, the QC is nice, but for typical one-off repair and custom work, the lantern is great. I have every type of holder imaginable, including boring bar holders that mount in the lantern, knurling tools, a radius cutter, threading tools, as well as left, right hand and center turning and cutoff holders. I'd spend thousands of dollars setting up this lathe with a QC and similar range of holders. Can't justify it and don't even want to.

Now, I'm not using tiny little #00 holders that should be on a 9" South Bend, these are #2 that have a shank that is 1 1/4"x5/8". They don't slip, or creep, or chatter. The toolpost itself is actually the original one that came with the lathe in 1918. It'll hog off material like nobody's business. When the cut I can take is limited by the width of the cutting edge, horsepower available, and the rigidity of the material, I don't see where the QC is going to gain me anything in that department, either. The lantern actually lets you get the cutter in closer to the compound and isn't as radially offset as the QC, as well. I have seen many machines turn the QC on the toolpost under heavy cuts because of the left or right hand overhang.

I do have a QC on my 10" SB and have offered several times to trade it straight up for an appropriate sized lantern with full tooling. No takers yet.

You obviously have not used a Multi-fix on your L&S........there is no comparison. I have all the L&S factory supplied Lantern stuff that came with my 18x54 L&S Powerturn lathe. I keep them around for completeness only.

A cousin of mine who was a machinist full time at the time told me if I ever got a set of Aloris tools, I would throw my lantern tool post and Armstrong forged holders in the scrap... Instead I threw his opinion in the scrap.. There are times when a lantern post and forged holders are very useful such as getting into tight places where quick change tooling simply will not go....Ramsay 1:)

I saw a tool post that had an adjustable height base for the Armstrong holders. It had a threaded ring on the base that you could adjust the tool height easily with the holder staying flat. I have always intended to make one but haven't.

You're looking at the Barnes Lathe "adjustable" tool holder. Originally provided by Barnes with a set of forged carbon steel tools (of varying presentation height as befits a hand forged tool.)

As of 1918 Barnes was still providing hand forged tools. Only later did Barnes succumb to Armstrong type holders - or perhaps more properly - the users did.

Joe in NH

Back