What's new
What's new

dsg 17x72 plain bearings

pressbrake1

Stainless
Ive never seen a modern era ie post war dsg in the flesh with plain bearings, and I suppose ive been brainwashed against them.

If the bearings are good can it still go to work like its frictionless bearing brother?
Regards

Ive never seen a modern era ie post war dsg in the flesh with plain bearings, and I suppose ive been brainwashed against them.

If the bearings are good can it still go to work like its frictionless bearing brother?
Regards

If I'm correct the plain bearing machines were considered to be the higher class Toolroom standard machines in the old days. The spindle top speed was a bit slower though.

Regards Tyrone.

Screenshot_2017-10-16-14-04-57.jpgScreenshot_2017-10-16-14-02-25.jpg

Pictures above of said 17x72.I purchased a late 1740 machine last week and its reminded me of the shear class difference of dsg, even inside when i stripped part of it down, none of those dirty little secrets!

As far as putting them to work, here is one of your colonies' :D better efforts piling them up in 1915 - with the fairly new High Speed Steel

I guess you realize the ongoing great war was won ONLY with such cutting tools and plain spindle bearings - as far as getting things machined

Regards

Attachments

• 1915 Ad.jpg
    1915 Ad.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for replies, I suppose is it worth having as it is a dsg or dismissing because of plain bearings

I wouldn't dismiss it until I'd run it. From a fitting point of view they were the best lathes I ever worked on.

As RC said if the bearings had gone on a " Timken " machine you'd need to win the lottery to replace them.

Regards Tyrone.

If it had roller bearings and they were stuffed it would be unaffordable to replace them, even if you could buy new ones, which you probably would not be able to.

Indeed , ive stated the same thing on here before, either way stuffed bearings is misery no mater what type!

I had to get a new bronze spindle bush machined for my Graziano lathe, until then I'd never heard of a Graziano with them. The chunk of continuous cast bronze tube cost $300+ dollars to buy but it's all done now and I'm very happy with the repair. I'd heard some of the big Holbrooks had white metal spindle bushes as they were used to turn optical reflectors where the surface finish was critical.

A high precision spindle bush would tend to take thinner oils than the roller bearing version of the same lathe, my SAG 180 takes ISO 32 weight oil whereas the roller bearing version SAG 180 takes ISO 46 weight oil. This allows less oil shear and cooler running.

Back