What's new
What's new

Earlier New Haven Engine lathe

The add states that the guy sold the house and needs the lathe moved in 30 days or else its heading to the scrapyard... I hope someone can save this lathe.. out of respect for the preservation of this old equipment you think the owner would just stick the lathe on eBay with a $1.00 starting bid and let the lathe finds its new owner in hopes that it doesn't meet its fate.

The add states that the guy sold the house and needs the lathe moved in 30 days or else its heading to the scrapyard... I hope someone can save this lathe.. out of respect for the preservation of this old equipment you think the owner would just stick the lathe on eBay with a $1.00 starting bid and let the lathe finds its new owner in hopes that it doesn't meet its fate.

Normally, I would agree, but the leg monster will likely sacrifice it for the idiotic steampunk trend..........and the rest will still go for scrap.

I see the thread chart, but do not see a lead screw or way to mount a threading gear train. No lead screw on the front or down the center of the bed, according to the pictures. I guess that leaves the back of the bed, but I could not see any hint that it is there. Anyone know how they did it?

Larry

I see the thread chart, but do not see a lead screw or way to mount a threading gear train. No lead screw on the front or down the center of the bed, according to the pictures. I guess that leaves the back of the bed, but I could not see any hint that it is there. Anyone know how they did it?

Larry

I suspect the lead screw was on the back side and is gone.

I agree with Hit Miss Engine.
The sellers story about the scrapyard is suspect. Just start the bid at scrap value.

I don't think the leg thieves will want the legs.
The head stock leg is broken in at least two places and has been repaired with plates and bolts.

Attachments

• New Haven lathe 2_LI.jpg
    New Haven lathe 2_LI.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 96
  • New Haven lathe 1_LI.jpg
    New Haven lathe 1_LI.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 118
I suspect the lead screw was on the back side and is gone.

I agree with Hit Miss Engine.
The sellers story about the scrapyard is suspect. Just start the bid at scrap value.

I don't think the leg thieves will want the legs.
The head stock leg is broken in at least two places and has been repaired with plates and bolts.

Confirming that missing lead screw - a "lightening" of a similar pix to Rob's shows two empty screw holes on the top flange of this lathe. Right where the bracket for the rear mounted lead screw might appear.

Too bad. Looking for just about this lathe. This one, despite the damage and the missing lead screw MIGHT fit the bill. But at 8-1/2 feet overall it probably won't fit the space.

Joe in NH

Edit: Both legs are hit and repaired - looks like a "period" repair.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 89

Back