What's new
What's new

Early butterfield die holder

Sachmanram

Stainless
Hello all :)

I went down to an annual flea market this afternoon, and ended up buying this die holder, as well as some other items. I have seen the name "Butterfield" on quite a few items over the years, but didn't realize that the original factory sprawled it's 200,00 square feet on both sides of the border of Vermont and Quebec in the late 1800's.

This is an early looking piece, as it has just a "Q" after Rock Island, instead of "PQ".

I thought that this might be interesting to some of you.

Brian :)

IMG_1395 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1394 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1396 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1397 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1398 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_1398 (1024x768).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 160
Nice find on the die and die stock Brian,
Here a couple of links to some history about Butterfield that I cannot remember seeing before.
Butterfield's: Important Invention Leads to International Factory | Townships Heritage WebMagazine
Progress is fine, but it's gone on for too long.: We used to make things in this country. #19: Butterfield & Company, Rock Island, Quebec
At one time I think I had seen on TV that there was a collection of Butterfield tools in a museum in Rock Island or perhaps it was in the library that is divided by the Canada- U.S.A. boarder
Haskell Free Library and Opera House - Wikipedia
Maybe one day I will be able to make a visit there .
Jim

Hello Jim :)

It's always nice to see your valuable and kind contributions to any thread... Your resourcefulness in your research always impresses me. This particular company is rather unique in our neighborly history, in that it was a true "International" company, employing Americans and Canadians alike. The Canadian side of the plant was finally closed in 1982.

I am curious about the lack of "PQ" as opposed to "Q" in relation to Quebec. Was this a terminology in use until Confederation, or did this linger on for some time after the fact?

Brian :)

Thanks Brian,
I have no Idea about the various short formats for the Province of Quebec , Q. P.Q or as is often seen now QC.
In the case of your tool it may have had more to do with the tool design and the room to put an extra letter in with that size of graphics than any wide spread use of the Q . only short form .
I think I have also seen some of their tools Stamped B.& Co. and I may have even seen R.I. Que. or some other variant of that .
Some one else may have better Idea.
Jim

I have never been that far north in VT, so I found the Butterfield and library/opera house story interesting. I see on the satellite view of the factory (now owned by Tivoly) that there is a dam across the river just upstream of the factory and a smaller dam just downstream. The factory bridges across the river. SWMBO tells people that I like to drag her along to see dammed mills. There is a power house with a tall stack just west of the main factory on the USA side, so I expect it was steam powered at one time.

Larry

I had seen some stories about the Library on the C.B.C. national news several years ago but that do not seem to be available on line at the moment
I did find this video about it on You Tube
The Haskell Free Library and Opera House: a Cultural Gem on the Canada-U.S. Border - YouTube
More Here
Haskell Free Library in Rock Island Quebec - Google Search

This 1948 catalogue turned up on archive.org
Union Twist Drill Co Catalog Of Taps, Dies & Reamers : Union Twist Drill Co. : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The former Fraser now Twin Rivers Paper also have a cross boarder operation at Edmundston NB. and Madawaska Maine
Edmundston Pulp Mill - Packaging & Publishing Papers

About Us - History of our Paper Company
I am not sure if there are or were any other cross boarder operations like that elsewhere but I imagine that the trading agreements and import duties may have had something to do with these arrangements .

JIm

Back