What's new
What's new

Early SIP jJig Borer - Maine CL

maynah

Stainless
Early SIP Jig Borer - Maine CL

This looks very interesting.
Pictures and text for posterity.
I'm down sizing or I'd have to go look at this.

JIG BOR - tools - by owner - sale

SWISS MADE JIG BOR, LOTS OF TOOLS, ROTARY TABLE, 240 3PH CAN BE SEEN UNDER POWER, ASKING $1,000 OBRO

Attachments

• SIP jig bore 1.jpg
    SIP jig bore 1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 404
  • SIP jig bore 2.jpg
    SIP jig bore 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 456
Early SIP Jig Borer - Maine CL

I keep going back to look at this ad.
Isn't this just how you want an old machine to look?
I don't know anything about jig borers, but I imagine if that
rotary table is original and in top shape, it must be worth a few francs.

Greg Menke - Can you correct the spelling in the main title?
I can't figure out how to edit that. Thanks

A lot of details are very similar to mine which is a 1934 model, I think. Mine is longer ( it seems )and has dual spindles. Hard to believe but they are basically indestructible and once properly fixed up it'll amaze you. It's just a different league of machine tool. On mine, the drive shaft is behind the gantry. I believe I see the original toolbox on the right. Machine tool wise, this is the real deal.

In my humble opinion any " SIP " jig borer is a work of art. Will there be one in any modern art gallery anywhere on the planet ? I think not.

Regards Tyrone.

Quite a few of them have been repaired to as new condition and are in collections. They will eventually make their way in museums, I am sure. They are a WORK OF ART.

A lot of details are very similar to mine which is a 1934 model, I think. Mine is longer ( it seems )and has dual spindles. Hard to believe but they are basically indestructible and once properly fixed up it'll amaze you. It's just a different league of machine tool. On mine, the drive shaft is behind the gantry. I believe I see the original toolbox on the right. Machine tool wise, this is the real deal.

Could you share some photos with us?

I had a lovely big sip jig bore, the local scrap theives moved it for me assholes, I found it busted up in the scrap yard.
I believe there was one at the science museum once upon a time

And not even 800 quid? ......yowsa, is that a deal or what?

Well, it is a deal if it's in repairable condition. It's not a modern CNC but at least here in Africa some of them are still pulling their weight. If you buy one, you own it's capabilities. If you buy a modern cnc you rent those capabilities and are at the mercy of the dealer/manufacturer.

I don't know anything about jig borers, but I imagine if that
rotary table is original and in top shape, it must be worth a few francs.

You can see SIP cast in the base of the rotary table.
We use to have three SIP's at work and two Dixie's.
Larger pictures.

Rob

Attachments

• SIP 1.jpg
    SIP 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 158
  • SIP 2.jpg
    SIP 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 148
You can't give them away over here now. I remember going to " Rolls-Royce " up in Glasgow and they had a room with several of the really modern large " SIP's" just doing nothing and getting covered in dust.

CNC machining centres have killed the demand for jig borers I'm afraid.

Regards Tyrone.

You can't give them away over here now. I remember going to " Rolls-Royce " up in Glasgow and they had a room with several of the really modern large " SIP's" just doing nothing and getting covered in dust.

CNC machining centres have killed the demand for jig borers I'm afraid.

Regards Tyrone.

Some "I do everything" shops can still make good use of one and some do over here. But repairing them it's becoming impossible. In a modern, efficient shop is simply an obsolete machine and one is better off sending that bit of work to another shop.

Do you need one ? :)

Well..... need is narrow question. I would like one. The 3C is the machine that gave SIP it's world wide reputation. There were so many #3 machines of many variations that there was a second plant opened up in the United Kingdom to fill the orders.

Back