What's new
What's new

Elliott Excel No 3 hydraulic surface grinder

Bruce Barnett

Plastic
Gday guys,

I've picked up an Elliott Excel No 3 hydraulic surface grinder from an auction and I'm chasing an operations manual and a service manual for it. Anyone have one or advise where I could get one.

Cheers Bruce

Gday guys,

I've picked up an Elliott Excel No 3 hydraulic surface grinder from an auction and I'm chasing an operations manual and a service manual for it. Anyone have one or advise where I could get one.

Cheers Bruce

Try Tony at lathes.co.uk he has a vast library of old machine tool manuals that he photocopies for a small fee.

Regards Tyrone.

Bruce: I have an Elliott tool and cutter grinder (No 5 I think) and was in your same boat with that. I wound up buying from The guy Tyrone mentioned as I could not find it anywhere. For mine what came was a very nicely done manual so I do recommend him if you can't find anything.

Thanks mate, I had seen his webpage. By the time I convert to Aussie dollars and pay postage it wont be cheap. Was hoping there were electronic files somewhere.

Cheers Bruce

To me handbooks are worth their weight in gold, same goes for foundation drawings.

The " Elliot " surface grinders weren't big sellers. I've only seen a couple on my travels. If you wanted a Toolroom style grinder you bought " Jones & Shipman ", if you wanted something bigger you bought a " Churchill ".

Regards Tyrone.

Bruce,

I have an Elliot too, but can't recall the model. I'll look it up later - I do have a manual.

Graham.

Bruce, so mine's an Elliott 921 Hydraulic Surface Grinding Machine. I'm not sure how that relates to your Excel No 3?

Graham.

Here is a page from an Elliot Catalogue, date unknown. The Excel No. 3 are advertised with 8" wheels and I noted the option of through-spindle coolant, the coolant being flung out through the wheel. Anyone come across this system?

Click 3 times on image for full size.

Elliot Excel No 3 SG 01.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce,
My machine looks very similar to the upper one in the catalogue page Peter just posted. So its operating manual may well be of use to you, or are you after the exact one for your model?

Graham.

The thing I remember about operating one many, many years ago is that it had a device were instead of grinding in the usual surface grinding manner IE grinding from end to end with the cross feed moving over an increment at a time you could have the cross feed moving completely at random and moved over in large increments. It was very disconcerting the first time you used it. It moved across in giant diagonal leaps !

Regards Tyrone.

Interesting. I haven't run mine yet, I only acquired it recently. I'll look out for that when I fire it up! Thanks for the heads-up.

Graham.

Tyrone,

I wondered what "Cross-Cross Grinding" meant in this advert - it might be what you experienced? Unfortunately there is no explanation.
There is no model number given, but it looks like "8-18" on the front of the machine.

Elliot 8-18 SG 01.jpg

This page is probably from a 1960 catalogue (it has 6/60 printed on the rear cover).
An 8-18 model with "Criss Cross Grinding".

Elliot 8-18 SG 1960 01.jpg Elliot 8-18 SG 1960 01a.jpg Elliot 8-18 SG 1960 01b.jpg

I have an Elliot 8-18 like the yellow pic. Solid machine. Not sure if cross grinding is a plus. Have tried, but prefer just regular technique. Not sure cross grinding is good idea for surface grinder bearings?

Lucky7

Bruce,
My machine looks very similar to the upper one in the catalogue page Peter just posted. So its operating manual may well be of use to you, or are you after the exact one for your model?

Graham.

Graham, I would be happy checking anything out. I'm heading off to the US next week for 5 months so will chase you up on it on my return. Do you have an email address I can contact you on??
Cheers Bruce

Tyrone,

I wondered what "Cross-Cross Grinding" meant in this advert - it might be what you experienced? Unfortunately there is no explanation.
There is no model number given, but it looks like "8-18" on the front of the machine.

View attachment 207957

This page is probably from a 1960 catalogue (it has 6/60 printed on the rear cover).
An 8-18 model with "Criss Cross Grinding".

View attachment 207959 View attachment 207958 View attachment 207960

Hi Peter, that sounds like the machine I worked on. I can't say I was over impressed by the idea. It was pretty alarming to use at first. I suppose the concept was to minimise the effect of wheel wear on the accuracy of the component.

Regards Tyrone.

Back