What's new
What's new

Megola

How do you get going on such a thing, from a dead stop? Kick it off the stand and away you go? :scratchchin:

Regards.

Mike

There has to be some kind of clutch system in the front hub to disengage the "drive" otherwise you wouldn't be able to stop at all. The thing that I think would be the most damning about the design is the lack of transmission. The system is efficient as there would be no losses because of a transmission. On the other hand, the only way to meter your speed would be the throttle and I can't believe that radial would have enough rpm variation/torque at all rpms to make it effective.

-Ron

johnoder

yes, I do stretch the limit on thread titles-- but more recently endeavour
to post titles friendly to Google search-- a high hit rate should be pleasing to
forum owner

but even if the thread disappears after hours or day or two--regular readers
may have experienced the sense of wonderment of mechanical things constructed
decades or even centuries in the past :)

jh

Jay Leno's Garage
1922 Megola Touring

http://www.hulu.com/watch/395300

Last edited:
No. No clutch. Start it on the front wheel stand. Rock forward and away you go. Not many stop signs or lights back when this was produced. After the engine was warm I suppose you could bump start it. Ciao.

I knew the previous owner of Leno's Megola. Had several conversations with him about it. While that one lacks a clutch, he told me that a later model had what looked like in the ad the same engine, but incorporated a clutch in the hub. We spent some time speculating how this was managed--we both were very much "into" old bikes--but never even felt that we had come close to solving how it was done. I know that Greg (the PO) rode the thing a couple times. but only a couple hundred yards at the most--and I don't remember him making any comments on the handling.

Herb K

Back