What's new
What's new

Fast B&S Cam Auto Job

Unbelievable that it's all flawlessl analog. They built amazing machines back in the day. I wonder how difficult/often they would have to be adjusted to hold tolerances when cutting brass with HSS bits?

thanks Camscan ........so what would you reckon on for tool life with leaded free cutting mild steel, ........and say 6000 series ally?

Thanks, .back to the old ROT I was taught with general run of the mill capstan work, ;- sharpened and set tools should last a shift.

Nice video, one wonders what if....what if B&S made a multispindle....

I know the late Mark McGrath used to run 2 identical parts at once on the same 6 spindle Acme Gridley, ;- EX 1 1/2''(ish) leaded freecutting steel IIRC, he told me more than once -watching the finished parts drop in to the basket at some ridiculous rate per minute, was like minting your own money :D

I know the late Mark McGrath used to run 2 identical parts at once on the same 6 spindle Acme Gridley, ;- EX 1 1/2''(ish) leaded freecutting steel IIRC, he told me more than once -watching the finished parts drop in to the basket at some ridiculous rate per minute, was like minting your own money :D

Yes, but what if B&S made one ? Would it be small and fast like
a Devenport ? Or radically different than anything else ?

FWIW my neighboring swiss shop couldn't compete on a 15 second cycle timed
brass threaded insert job, so I contacted a machinery rebuilder in Cleveland.
He rebuilt W&S 6 spindles, and explained how that simple job could be run
with only 3 spindles, and using (2) cut off stations, every index would drop
qty (2) parts. he also estimated the cycle time of around 2-3 seconds....:drool5:

Damn.

I just put my B&S No. 2 in storage cause I haven't found a product for it yet, the you go posting videos and talk about printing money....

Dan

As my old dad used to say, ''if it doesn't eat anything it can stay,'' and as sure as god made little green apples, the day after you get rid the perfect job will come along for it ;)

Back