What's new
What's new

Flat belt bench grinder.

D3faulted

Plastic
Was looking through an antique shop, didn't find anything interesting. Walked outside to leave and spotted this guy hiding behind a pile of wood. Walked back in to ask the guy how much and he didn't even know it was there. Told me i could have it for $10 if i was willing to crawl back there and get it. Who knows how long it sat outside, it was filthy and locked up. Lots of penetrating oil, some application of the heatgun and she came apart. Very surprised all the bolts and setscrews came undone without any real issues.
20170313_191602_zpsuakh8lem.jpg

20170313_172401_zps9kpwli4r.jpg

20170313_172417_zpsc3r2xb83.jpg

The nameplate is gone and there is nothing cast into it so anyone have any idea's? The big question is what RPM should i run it at? It looks to be a 6inch grinder, and the shaft runs in plain cast iron.

Good score, so many of these grinders that are around are missing the tool rests, I see you have both present which is good. Can't help on the maker, south bend lathe works once provided such grinders as casting kits ment for high school shops and the like as a project, I have a booklet that is the instruction book from south bend on machining such a kit, I believe a pdf version is posted on vintage machinery, under publication reprints, I quickly flipped through my copy and could not find an rpm, but I may have missed it, personally I'd not go over 1000 or so, but I'm sure others will have their own opinion on this.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Back