What's new
What's new

Follow Rest Rig

johnoder

Diamond
On the 24" 1917 L&S - made possible by carriage saddle tee slots

Worked great

Zero chatter / vibration

Had the 4" channel with holes in the ends and the 353 cylinder liners and added the rest

Blocks just left over Phenolic - milled a scallop in the important one. You may be able to see that it has a central pivot bolt in between the strap clamps.

The resulting rocking motion enables adjustment

Attachments

• P1000627sm.jpg
    P1000627sm.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 732
  • P1000628sm.jpg
    P1000628sm.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 655
  • P1000629sm.jpg
    P1000629sm.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 621
  • P1000630sm.jpg
    P1000630sm.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 609
You appear to have quite a bit of "Russian" in you....Whether actual or not. That's an effective rig, with "Russian ingenuity" for sure.

The 2 stroke liners are a great touch.... I like it.

Nice one John I like it.

Wicked thought time ;)........... post it on the PM CNC forum under a new username, ...and watch em freak :D

+1 on coolness and ingenuity.

found a good use for Screemer Parts other than converting diesel fuel to noise! :)

Got a 4-53 and a 6-71 in the P&H. Good Lord, that little 4-53 upper engine with a straightpipe is still annoyingly loud even the other end of the property (1/4 mile away). Mind blowingly loud in the combined operator station and engine compartment.

Hearing protection is NOT an option.

My fire company had a 1974 American LaFrance pumper with a 6-53 and Spicer 5 speed that I drove until it was taken out of service in 2004. I loved the sound of that rig as you went through the gears. No sound deadening in the cab and the officer and I would have to yell at each other to be heard. Hearing the radio while pumping was next to impossible. When my boys were small they would always tell me they could hear me go by if the call was near my house. Still was a great old rig.

Tom B.

Nothing at all wrong with that, John. Nice setup.

That chuck looks interesting, but things are a bit dark photographically down at the headstock end. Is that a 4-jaw with 8 t-slots?

-Marty-

Yep, 8 tee slots. Also made "tee nuts" that fit the jaw "slots" while clearing the jaw screw, so can tie things down every 30 degrees by removing jaws

Assumed to be an old UNION though positive ID machined away long ago. Its 24" diameter.

Nothing at all wrong with that, John. Nice setup.

That chuck looks interesting, but things are a bit dark photographically down at the headstock end. Is that a 4-jaw with 8 t-slots?

-Marty-

Im sure its not just me , but how many times have you made a tool or fixture up out of desperation or timescale for it to work beautifully to go back to do a proper job of it and its nowhere near as good!

John the carriage saddle tee slots were one of the things that defined the engine lathe many years ago,along with the steady rest, follower rest,and even the compound slide.Creating a follower rest by using them is a true piece of thinking out of the box. By the looks of the finish on that shaft, it worked quite well.
I have experienced what pressbrake mentioned a couple of times at least.May be related as the brain works under the gun in ways that routine work just doesnt warrent.
The only Detroit I ever worked with was a D92 on a peak shaving generator.The noise is the common denominator with those monsters...

Back