What's new
What's new

Found an ER1 Ingersoll Rand Compressor

Cgoldie803

Plastic
Hey guys,
New here. I recently purchased some old manufacturing property and in the bowels of the place I found an Ingersoll Rand ER1 9x8 compressor model # 47607. I don't know a lot about it but would love to have it saved before we start renovating these buildings. it has to go. So my first question is going to be, what is the potential value of these, and secondly, where is a good place to post it for sale? Otherwise it may end up with the other scrap steel and I think that'd be a shame.

20180313_124357.jpg20180313_124345.jpg

Unfortunately, that machine is not worth more than scrap value. Even more unfortunately, the scrap value may be less than the cost to drag that thing out of the building. Of course, you could get lucky and find a weird buyer that just has to have one to complete the set!

Value is subjective. While the monetary value might be next to nothing it sure is one cool compressor. What kind of mfg plant was this in? Don't let Rick Rolands see this, though kind of small by his standards. Thanks for sharing and if you got any more pictures fire away. When I was much younger a plant I worked in had an electric IR compressor. I can't find the builders plate but the bore was 17" with 14" stroke. I have always wanted something similar. For what use I have no idea. Regards, John.

Last edited:
Cgoldie803:

The ER-1 is the successor to the NE-1 and the main difference is that the ER uses Rogler style short lift valves. The ER-1 compressors
were built in four sizes based on stroke length, 6 inches, 8 inches, 10 inches and 12 inches. The nine inch bore will give a free air discharge of 145 cubic feet per minute at 250RPM. The operating pressure range will be 60psi to 100psi. A twenty-five horse power motor will be required for maximum output. The Belt Wheel size for this bore is 45 inch diameter and 8.5 inch face. Lubrication is by splash oiling. Unloading is controlled on the inlet side. The ER-1 is a very dependable single stage compressor, quiet in operation and requiring very little in the way of maintenance.

I can't make any suggestions regarding a fair market value or a good place to offer it for sale, but definitely scrapping it should be
considered a last option.

Hendeyman

Cgoldie803:

The ER-1 is the successor to the NE-1 and the main difference is that the ER uses Rogler style short lift valves. The ER-1 compressors
were built in four sizes based on stroke length, 6 inches, 8 inches, 10 inches and 12 inches. The nine inch bore will give a free air discharge of 145 cubic feet per minute at 250RPM. The operating pressure range will be 60psi to 100psi. A twenty-five horse power motor will be required for maximum output. The Belt Wheel size for this bore is 45 inch diameter and 8.5 inch face. Lubrication is by splash oiling. Unloading is controlled on the inlet side. The ER-1 is a very dependable single stage compressor, quiet in operation and requiring very little in the way of maintenance.

I can't make any suggestions regarding a fair market value or a good place to offer it for sale, but definitely scrapping it should be
considered a last option.

Hendeyman

Agree that old compressors aren't much use. But...It sure would be a neat project for a hit and miss build. Not that I'm an expert on those but from my limited knowledge I do think that they use those big cast iron pistons to build those. As far as the tank is concerned, it's probably a time bomb so it would need to be tested before anyone pressurized it. Probably make a good BBQ

Another suggestion would be to pour a foundation for it outside of the building, do a cosmetic restoration, and display it as part of the heritage of the building. If done right, it could look cool as hell. I once saw an old mortuary that was being converted into office space. Down in the basement was a small boiler that once heated the building. Rather than remove it, they incorporated it into the decor of the office. The effect was quite pleasing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Donate to the nearest gas & steam engine museum who can move it out, and offer them all assistance you can provide. Scrapping will bring the rath of engine Gods down on your project.

Smokstak.com is probably the greatest exposure you'll find for your offer to donate the machine.

There used to be a foundry near me that built a special glass fronted showroom for an old static steam engine near a main road that ran into the town centre. It was a really interesting set-up.
Then the factory shut and the foundry and showroom vanished under the new " Dunhelm " household Supermarket.
I believe the steam engine was saved but where I don't know.

Regards Tyrone.

If you do a search for Ingersoll Rand using this forum’s search function at the top of the page you will find several more results than the three links I selected below that contain information or a mention about Ingersoll Rand in older threads.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...r-compressor-280340/?highlight=Ingersoll+Rand

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...r-compressor-112204/?highlight=Ingersoll+Rand

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...r-compressor-113252/?highlight=Ingersoll+Rand

Jim

Donate to the nearest gas & steam engine museum who can move it out, and offer them all assistance you can provide. Scrapping will bring the rath of engine Gods down on your project.

Need to avoid the Engine Gods at all costs. Donating it is a good idea, as well as the idea of display. Just a bugger to get to as it is basically underground. Put it on Craigslist just for giggles and will keep researching options. Appreciate all the help.

If it was within 100 miles of here equipment and manpower would be on the way. Underground is nothing, chances are it didn't go there in 1 piece so it doesn't need to come out in 1 piece.
As I said, SmokStak is the largest possible exposure, so men in your area should be good to go.

Back