What's new
What's new

FS: 15ft. Flather Lathe, $1,500 Southern NH

Dave Little

Plastic
Last in service 3 years ago, in storage for about 2 years. Built in Nashua, NH I've never seen another Flather this big. Has 3 steady rests, 16" 4-jaw chuck, 15' long bed, Multispeed gearbox (unsure of how many speeds atm)tailstock and a DC drive motor & speed control for carriage feed. Weighs between 9 -10,000 lbs. You can move it with a heavy ramp truck. It's currently in a ground level storage container so I can't get a shot of the data plate with the specs on it other than what I know off the top of my head.
ways are in decent shape, but as you can see have flashed over in the time it has been in storage. There may also be a 3 jaw chuck as well with this but again it's buried. Asking 1,500 OBO. Located in Pelham, NH

email: [email protected]

Last edited:
This the larger size version of my now long gone No. 715. 715 was a circa 1907 version 16 swing, 7 foot bed, had a quick-change, and a nice drive-all scabbed onto the back. And weighed 1750 lbs all together.

Did a lot of work (and learning) on that lathe.

Someone interested in this will surely be a dedicated lathe user. But pricing is not such for a quick turn-over.

But this too can change, I imagine.

Joe in NH

Yeah, that roll back would be in a world of hurt with 14,000 lbs on it.
I doubt it would weigh as much as my Fifield, which is about the same length.

Probably no more than 5000 pounds. The whole gear train is gone so no threading and the upper cone pulley is gone and who knows what damage has been done to the lower cone pulley with the addition of the V pulley.

Similar to my 20” Flather that I estimate to be from around 1917. Same QC gearbox, bearing caps, base castings and similar apron. Yours may be the design before mine, somewhere around 1907 to 1916. I believe yours is slightly older since it doesn’t have the redesigned heavier headstock, has slightly lighter castings for the carriage, compound, tailstock and a single back gear. My Flather has a 5‘ bed and weighed in on the scale at 4100 lbs. with the countershaft. I wouldn’t think that the extra 10’ of bed on your lathe would weigh 1000 lbs/ft but I’d bet it weighs between 9,000 - 10,000. Still a tough transport.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 40 done3.jpg
    40 done3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 437
  • 41 done4.jpg
    41 done4.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 42 done5.jpg
    42 done5.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 691
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 469
If I may add a nearly on topic tidbit; Dennis Turk has a Flather 7" lathe, very compact and reminds me of a bulldog. He is the authority on Dalton lathes from that period and he is pretty convinced that the small Flather lathe was built by Dalton for Flather, though he has found no documentary proof there are many similarities.

I wouldn’t think that the extra 10’ of bed on your lathe would weigh 1000 lbs/ft but I’d bet it weighs between 9,000 - 10,000. Still a tough transport.

My afore mentioned 24" L&S is but 330 Lbs per foot - or, as they listed, 660 for an extra TWO feet

Yes, I suppose my weight estimate is a bit off now that I think about it. I'll settle on the 9-10,000 lbs. figure and edit the post.
Price is not set in stone as you know, the Lathe needs to go.

Yes, I suppose my weight estimate is a bit off now that I think about it. I'll settle on the 9-10,000 lbs. figure and edit the post.
Price is not set in stone as you know, the Lathe needs to go.

I'm on the other side of the planet so I've nothing to gain by trying to lowball you.... just saying, the missing bits for power feeds and thread cutting really knock down the value. I personally wouldn't buy such a machine unless I had a job for it that was going to pay for it fast and didn't need the missing bits.

As a collector piece, it's pretty compromised.

PDW

This could be a really nice machine. Too bad the rear gear train is missing. It is probably the exact same set-up that is on mine. The lower right gear can be changed between a 48 tooth and a 24 tooth gear. Flather made a really good machine. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 295
I'm on the other side of the planet so I've nothing to gain by trying to lowball you.... just saying, the missing bits for power feeds and thread cutting really knock down the value. I personally wouldn't buy such a machine unless I had a job for it that was going to pay for it fast and didn't need the missing bits.

As a collector piece, it's pretty compromised.

PDW

I'd have to agree with you there. That is exactly what the lathe was bought for...one job then never used again.
Price lowered to $1,000

Probably no more than 5000 pounds. The whole gear train is gone so no threading and the upper cone pulley is gone and who knows what damage has been done to the lower cone pulley with the addition of the V pulley.
If someone is looking for a chuck or steady better call and have your dimensions ready.
I called and he is going to check dimensions.
Take a look at the cone pulley. That is a sleeve with v's pressed onto the large step.
Cone Pulley Sleeve~.jpg
John

Back