What's new
What's new

FS: Early Pratt & Whitney Lathe 1868 Patent Museum Quality

Monschaublaho

Plastic
For sale is an early Pratt & Whitney lathe with an 1868 patent date. It has the rise and fall cross slide. The ways and lead screw are very nice due to the lathe being stored indoors and unused for 60+ years. Somewhere I have the entire box of change gears for it. Gotta find those. Comes with one chuck and steady rest. This is an early P&W lathe! Remarkable condition given the age. It would be fully usable and a good lathe with cleaning and lube. Should be in a museum it is so old and nice! The faceplate shown goes to a different lathe, not included. $650. 864 266-7737 Inman,South Carolina.

Attachments

• P1150508.jpg
    P1150508.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 834
  • P1150514.jpg
    P1150514.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 816
  • P1150506.jpg
    P1150506.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 675
  • P1150509.jpg
    P1150509.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 715
You don't show us the tailstock - which is a general clue to the age of a Pratt & Whitney lathe.

Below would be one of the earliest

lathe.jpg

Later, more modern styling was adopted. The transition may have been "graduated."

5385-A.jpg

Generally I would make the transition between "early" and "late" along with the brass nameplate: if it has the brass nameplate, then it is "early." If it has the name cast into the lathe bed, then it is "later."

PandWTag.jpg

Thanks to our John Oder for this capture.

Joe in NH

This P&W lathe does not have the early tailstock that Joe shows above.
Also there looks to be a big problem with the front headstock bearing.

Rob

This P&W lathe does not have the early tailstock that Joe shows above.
Also there looks to be a big problem with the front headstock bearing.

Rob

I first wondered if the lathe had been adapted to "relieving lathe" somehow - or a more exotic modification like eccentric/oval turning. But looking back more likely a "crash."

The lathe does show some early features - like the brass nameplate and a disk back gear (but not turned.) Other features are more recent like the tailstock (seen the corner of in one pix) and the "chip horns" on the saddle/carriage.

The rise & fall feature does indicate a lathe made before the widespread adoption of high speed steels, but rise & fall continued well beyond this, particularly in New England.

Note the absence of a weight (as shown in the two pix.) The height adjustment may be made by a crank or large thumb-nut - but I'll bet it incorporates a sort of "ball & socket" joint to accommodate the angular displacement of the saddle - and yet hold the saddle to the gibbed carriage. Which does away with the need for a weight. This would be among the last designs of "rise & fall"

Check the paint. If it seems to have an underlay of black then this is a P&W lathe made before 1882. It was that year that P&W showed up to a Boston Machinery Show with all their machines done in "machinery grey" and "wow'ed" the onlookers who were expecting the usual P&W black.

Pricing is er, "ok" but be prepared to dicker with a buyer. A good clean user lathe with all the bells and whistles is probably worth it. I think here you're selling function - not appearance.

As it has been for Pratt & Whitney since their beginning.

Joe in NH

I see two plates grafted onto the headstock. Only reason for them I can think of is that the headstock is broken, and the plates hold the pieces together. Maybe some other reason, don't know.

Just so. These were very lightly built - frail if you like - and the bearing sat in a squared off recess - half in base and half in cap. These created "ears" sticking up on each side - additionally WEAKENED by tapped holes for the cap bolts. Probably easy as pie to break such a design with only a mild crash

PERRIGO shows this quaint design in the first pages of Lathe Design, Construction and Operation from 1916

I see two plates grafted onto the headstock. Only reason for them I can think of is that the headstock is broken, and the plates hold the pieces together. Maybe some other reason, don't know.

Back