What's new
What's new

Heads up: Holbrook relieving lathe with accessories

There is a relieving attachment in "workshop technology" by chapman.This is for the Holbrook Toolroom Lathe also featured I think. I also have a book with a similar version for a DSG. Were there many of these around as I have never seen or heard of one in the flesh?

There is a relieving attachment in "workshop technology" by chapman.This is for the Holbrook Toolroom Lathe also featured I think. I also have a book with a similar version for a DSG. Were there many of these around as I have never seen or heard of one in the flesh?

IME, very few about - unless a shop had work for a relieving attatchment they were very unlikey to purchase an exceedingly expensive accessory - unless they were the MOD, ROF, or Harwell Atomic Research ;)

I came across one of these in the "workshop " of a firm about 8 miles from where i live some 12 years ago, It was not too bad condition wise, although not as nice as the one in the posting, One of the guys thought they could use the relieving facility to cut gears I told them before i left, that it was not a good idea to try! (understatement of the millenium)

There is a relieving attachment in "workshop technology" by chapman.

I think it is important to note that this is a relieving lathe, not a lathe with a relieving attachment. There are plenty of toolroom lathes that had a relieving attachment option (including Holbrook), but this Holbrook No.9 looks to be made for this work only. For example the top speed is 150 rpm....

Apologies if I am making an obvious statement. I have never seen a dedicated lathe like this before.

Back