What's new
What's new

FS: Metric threading kits for Clausing 5900 & 4900 lathes

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

Last year I made and sold a batch of metric threading kits for Clausing 5900 and 4900 lathes. I've had several enquiries since then wanting a kit, so I'm going to go ahead and make up another batch.

Here is the previous thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...eading-kits-clausing-4900-5900-lathes-259795/

Price is up a bit since the last batch, now $360 + $12.65 shipping.

Send me an e-mail if you'd like to get on the list for the new batch.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Hi Mike, this is going to sound really stupid..... I just got a Clausing 4901 a couple of months ago, I've got it set up but haven't even turned it on to use yet.... I did make sure it ran. Anyway, I haven't even looked at the gear box so I don't even know where this thing mounts? And do you still use the gear box? Is there a new chart that says what the new pitches are?....... I don't have any manuals so I don't know how the factory one worked. Are they on the Internet somewhere?

I would be interested in one. What kind of delivery time are you thinking? When are you going to want the money? I am in no hurry.

Thanks

Hello,

Not a stupid question at all! It's not obvious where all the pieces go, but luckily there is original Clausing documentation showing where everything goes. The standard end gearing including the quadrant (banjo) comes off, and the metric quadrant with appropriate gears goes on. Probably takes 30 minutes to do the swap. After that, the gearbox is used, in combination with specific stud and screw gears, to get each metric pitch. I have copies of the docs.

I should have kits ready to ship by end of January. Payment can happen when the kits are done.

Regards.

Mike

Finegrain, I looked at your pic on the previous thread, nice looking work and IMHO exceedingly good value.

FWIW £225 won't get you far on that sort of kit in the UK.

Big :) :) allround.

P.S. If memory serves, I paid <> £50 ($80) for a used 127/100 compound gear for my Boxford, other used gears were $30 - $50 apiece.

Yes I want a set..... I have had a chance to look at the instructions for this on Clausing Yahoo group site, it is in the files folder...... Looks like a good thing to have. As with so many machines, you get all the accessories but in reality hardly ever use them....... At least that is the way it is with me.

Also by having this maybe it will increase the desirability of my lathe........ It think I am going to put a hour meter on it because I bet I won't have 500 hours on it in the next 20 years...... This 4901 was made in 1968, it is basically unused now..... So in another 20 years this will be nearly a new condition 70 year old lathe fully loaded with accessories....... And if we ever do truly switch to metric it will be able to cut those threads.

I got one of these and they look great..... If you have one of these lathes I highly recommend you pick up one of these threading attachments while you can. Mike is doing us a great service by making them....... And remember, President Carter said we would switch over to metric within 10 years......... Course Thomas Jefferson thought it was a good idea too, so it might be any day now.

Thank you Mike

What are the specs on these, in case someone wanted to adapt them to another lathe?

allan

16DP, 14.5* PA, 1/2" wide, 3/4" bronze bushed bore on the 127/110 and 60, 5/8" bore with 1/8" keyway on the 50, 25, and one of the 20's, and 1/2" bore with 1/8" keyway on the 28, 24, 16, and the other 20.

Regards.

Mike

Back