What's new
What's new

Garvin radial drill, Owen Machine Tool Co. no. 1½ Universal Mill

maynah

Stainless
This Garvin popped up near me. If I wasn't down sizing, I'd have to go look at this. It seems like a nice smaller size. Most radial drills seem like monsters, and are tons of machine. Does anyone know anything about these drills?
Seller also has a Owen Machine Tool Company, Springfield, Ohio, No. 1 ½ Universal. Looks like a nice machine as well, but I've never heard of them. They are in Cope's book, but weren't around for a long time. The pictures are the sellers and don't show the best details of the machines.

Attachments

• Garvin radial drill.jpg
    Garvin radial drill.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 944
  • Owen Mach. Tool Co..jpg
    Owen Mach. Tool Co..jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,022
Radial arm drills are nice drills but they do take up a lot of space. The Garvin looks like its' a bit smaller than most I see though and probably doesnt take up TOO much more space than an equivalent sized camelback. The mill looks pretty nice, but I too have never heard of the manufacturer, I almost suspect that they're listing a machine tool seller tag as the maker.

I thought that too as a possibility about the Owen, but they are in Cope's book as a manufacturer.
They must be fairly scarce as a PM search only brings up 1 post.

It's an estate settlement. $3500 for everything.
Anyone recognize the shaper?

Tool, Die and Welding Shop Equipment

Tool, die and welding shop equipment and supplies for sale as part of an estate:

· Milling machine (The Owen Machine Tool Company, Springfield, Ohio, No. 1 ½ Universal)

· Shaper (Hill Clark and Company Machine Tools and Supplies, Boston, MA)

· Radial drill (The Garvin Machine Company)

· Lathe (South Bend Lathe Works)

· Floor model drill press (Buffalo Forge Company)

· Floor model drill press (manufacturer unknown)

· Horizontal and vertical band saws

· 30-ton heavy-duty press

· Several grinders

· Arc Welder

· Oxy-Acetylene Torches

· Large heavy-duty welding table/workbench

· Various small hand tools (hammers, screwdrivers, vice grips, etc)

· Large stock of nuts, bolts, steel, and various storehouses containing cotter pins, etc.

All machinery currently set up and under power. We wish to sell entire contents together.

Attachments

• Minot shaper.jpg
    Minot shaper.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 352
I like that radial drill. Nice small size.

The Owen Machine Tool Co. was founded in 1893, destroyed by fire in 1902, and was in business until at least 1912 (when they were granted a patent). Haven't found much else.

Andy

As Bill has stated Garvin did not make radial drills but they did sell them. I have a 1904 Garvin catalog of machines they sold by other makers.
This radial drill is a made up one. I recognize the base as either a L.W. Pond or David Pond drill base.
The radial top is from a Barnes horizontal radial drill.
Quite clever how they made this drill up.

Rob

Attachments

• Barnes radial drill.jpg
    Barnes radial drill.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Hello, I was doing a search on this equipment and found this thread, its about the only thing that comes up for the Garvin radial drill. Wondering if anyone else has some input or thoughts on any of these pieces?

I believe the shaper is a Mark Flather, his tag is on the other side from the Hill Clark & co tag, they must have been the ones to sell it? just above the cutting head its stamped 302 then has patent dates for 95, 96, 97 and 99. It looks to be in good condition, definitely has a rugged vice on it.

The lathe has a cast 15 in a few places, serial is 5113, from what I read on here that makes it a 1915 or 1916? It has the change gears, 3 and 4 jaw chuck, plate,holder and a bunch of dogs. Looks like it will need some adjustments to tighten everything up.

The Garvin drill looks to be in good condition and works well, still trying to figure out the auto feed rates on it though.

I appreciate any input and thanks for this great forum. I have done quite a bit of reading on here over the years, just never joined for some reason.

I'd buy that radial arm drill in a second. 3500$ for the equipment listed would be a good deal if one could move/transport/store it. I bet there is a ton of other tools and tooling that would get tossed in for that asking price.

20160723_095412.jpg20160723_095432.jpg20160723_095507.jpg20160723_095623.jpg

Yes, I went ahead with the entire lot. Trailer load #5 today, hopefully that will be the last trip. I didnt need this much big equipment but anyways, guess I might as well try it all out. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, most stuff is more than 3x my age.

There is lots of extras, old tools, taps and dies, dividing head, cutters. Some stuff I have no idea what is, makes it hard to pack stuff up when you don't know what its for but the old guy had it sectioned off in groups so I know it has a purpose.

I'll have to post some pictures, I'll see how these ones come out first. not sure how to rotate the picture or if the file will be too big.

The base on the garvin is about 2x4', overall length with the motor sticking out the back and the crank out the front is about 6'. It all runs from one side so I guess it could be pushed up against a wall. Its definitely a nice looking machine. 20160721_122512.jpg20160721_122652.jpg20160721_122707.jpg20160723_095930.jpg20160723_100058.jpg

Thank you John, is there a way to rotate the picture when its uploaded? They are all correct orientation before it uploades. I'll have to see if there is a post here on how to upload photos correctly and get some better ones to post on here.

Rob, Did Garvin just sell other manufacturers drill presses or where they made for them with no brand? Think there is any place that might be stamped with the manufacturer or casting on this one? Im wondering how old it is?

Thanks

Rob, Did Garvin just sell other manufacturers drill presses or where they made for them with no brand? Think there is any place that might be stamped with the manufacturer or casting on this one? Im wondering how old it is?

Garvin made machine tools and also sold machine tools by other makers. As far as I know Garvin never had any drills made for them unbranded or branded.
Garvin never made radial drills.

I thought I was clear in post #7.
Someone made this radial drill up from two other drills.
The base, table and column are from a Pond upright drill(most likely a David W. Pond drill).
The radial arm is from a W. F. & John Barnes horizontal radial drill.

Rob

Rob, Im not doubting you that its a made up machine, just hoping to find some markings that someone could trace to a more specific Pond or Barnes machine. I also found some photos of a Bickford drill that has a very similar base and column, the table crank location and method looks very similar too.

The radial top has the Garvin Machine tag on it thats why I was asking if Garvin had machines made with no markings and put their own tags on it, but maybe the nameplate was just on the other base.

taterfarm,

I know the base is from a Pond drill. I have a David W. Pond upright drill and the base is identical.
L. W. Pond also made the same drill(David Pond took over his fathers(Lucius W.) business).
If you look at the attachment in post #7 you will see the Barnes radial arm. Download the attachment and rotate it 90 deg. and compare it to your arm.
You will see it is the same.

Garvin put it's seller's tags on the machines it sold that were made by other makers.
The reason why there is no Pond or Barnes tags on the drill is because the Pond tag would be on the upper part of the upright drill, which is gone and the Barnes tag would be on the base, which is gone.

Rob

Back