What's new
What's new

KEARNEY & TRECKER NO 3-HS

8D-132

Cast Iron
I have seen a few of these K&T 3-HS machines and I am curios about this model and the age, if they have a quill like a Bridgeport or if you use the knee for all up and down cutting movement??
This is a curios question at this time, as I cannot buy one right now, my shop is going to be a really involved project for some time. One gets a real feel for bureaucracy after a few visits to the planning office and I am just getting started. :(

John,
I hope all is well your way!
3H I am sorry I dont know what I was thinking.
some of these seem rather a fixed head with head movement up or down, I like the looks of these machines.
Thank you!

A 3H vertical will have a massive head casting that slides up and down in long ways. Most I think were power fed here (PF and rapid to this movement was an option). This is in addition to normal knee up and down feed.

Not great for drilling

But not bad for boring.

About 6" of travel

A 3H vertical weighs 6750.

There were also at the same time the #3K - bigger, tougher and heavier yet with eight more speeds.

John

John,
When the dust clears from this shop deal which will be a year or better. :rolleyes: I will look for one then. This sounds like it would be a good mill for what I have in mind.
Are there any other shortfalls that a person should be aware of for these mills?

any other shortfalls

Since there is plently of time, be choosey.

Don't buy one you have not spent some time running.

Little oopsies in these are way too expensive to buy parts to fix them with.

They are also, to use a more modern term - not very user friendly. A step ladder will be a standard accessory for tightening and loosening draw bar that holds in spindle tooling :D

John

Back