What's new
What's new

Triplex 3 in 1 machine, 1922

rivett608

Diamond
This is from a Kemp Machinery Co. catalog, Baltimore, 1922...... these were made by B.C. Ames of Waltham, Mass and were nice quality....... years ago I was offered one but was holding out for a better one I knew and didn't end up with either..... they had a nice set of cast iron legs under them to add to the look....
triplex.jpg

triplexdetail.jpg

This is from a Kemp Machinery Co. catalog, Baltimore, 1922...... these were made by B.C. Ames of Waltham, Mass and were nice quality....... years ago I was offered one but was holding out for a better one I knew and didn't end up with either..... they had a nice set of cast iron legs under them to add to the look....
triplex.jpg

triplexdetail.jpg

Dave Sobel has one and its for sale. I have looked it over good many, many times. Still it has not followed me home. The guy in Ohio had it on ebay last year and I was the only bidder, but never met his reserve(or found out what it was)

Dave Sobel has one and its for sale. I have looked it over good many, many times. Still it has not followed me home. The guy in Ohio had it on ebay last year and I was the only bidder, but never met his reserve(or found out what it was)

I heard the one one ebay last year was just trying to find similiar triplex and that is how the one I know about was located. The one that was for sale was one of the other two.

Ray :D

I heard the one one ebay last year was just trying to find similiar triplex and that is how the one I know about was located. The one that was for sale was one of the other two.

Ray :D

Somewhere in my papers I have a file on these..... I remember there were a bunch of B & W pictures of one in NY or NJ.... at that time (about 1980) it was not owned by Dave so I don't know if his is the same one.....I wonder how many are around? There may even be a copy of a sales bulletin in that file so I need to look for it.....

Somewhere in my papers I have a file on these..... I remember there were a bunch of B & W pictures of one in NY or NJ.... at that time (about 1980) it was not owned by Dave so I don't know if his is the same one.....I wonder how many are around? There may even be a copy of a sales bulletin in that file so I need to look for it.....

I too have played with that Ames Triplex at Dave Sobel's. It is fascinating piece of iron. Good looking too.

When I asked him for more information about it he flatly stated "That's an Ames Triplex, you don't want that, its a horror".

I took that to mean "Collectors only".
It real pretty nevertheless.

Dean

I too have played with that Ames Triplex at Dave Sobel's. It is fascinating piece of iron. Good looking too.

When I asked him for more information about it he flatly stated "That's an Ames Triplex, you don't want that, its a horror".

I took that to mean "Collectors only".
It real pretty nevertheless.

Dean

Hello Everyone!
It's a small world! A friend of mine sent me a link to this posting about the Triplex. I'm the guy who had mine on E-Bay last year. I know of 4 machines counting mine.I still may be interested in selling my machine.I've meet Dave and he always says negative things,but does not seem to be in a hurry to sell. I've found out quite a bit about the machine over the past ten years. It is very hard to find out much. Always interested in finding out more!

Thanks !!

Hello Everyone!
It's a small world! A friend of mine sent me a link to this posting about the Triplex. I'm the guy who had mine on E-Bay last year. I know of 4 machines counting mine.I still may be interested in selling my machine.I've meet Dave and he always says negative things,but does not seem to be in a hurry to sell. I've found out quite a bit about the machine over the past ten years. It is very hard to find out much. Always interested in finding out more!

Thanks !!

I saw one of the Ames Triplex machines in a basement nearby. Kind of lonely and forgotten. I will try to inquire about it when I see the guy again, it looked like it would clean up quite nicely.

Joe

I saw one of the Ames Triplex machines in a basement nearby. Kind of lonely and forgotten. I will try to inquire about it when I see the guy again, it looked like it would clean up quite nicely.

Joe

I note ToolZ's reference to having one of eBay. Assuming he has since evaporated, does anyone here know how high the bids got ? I might want one of these just as a collectors item. How much does Sobel want for his ?

I note ToolZ's reference to having one of eBay. Assuming he has since evaporated, does anyone here know how high the bids got ? I might want one of these just as a collectors item. How much does Sobel want for his ?

I bid on the one on Ebay(I think I was the only bidder) but never reached the reserve. If you read Toolsnthings post he says he may still want to sell it. From the pics on ebay it looked like he did a first rate job on it.

I have the paper at home but I think Sobel wants $2000 to $2500. I have considered it many times over the past 15 years when I first saw it there but Dave always talks me out of it.

I bid on the one on Ebay(I think I was the only bidder) but never reached the reserve. If you read Toolsnthings post he says he may still want to sell it. From the pics on ebay it looked like he did a first rate job on it.

I have the paper at home but I think Sobel wants $2000 to $2500. I have considered it many times over the past 15 years when I first saw it there but Dave always talks me out of it.

Back