What's new
What's new

Got a new old mill

abarnsley

Titanium
Did a quick search on archives, need info on a Cincinnati #1 Universal Horizontal Mill, It is a cone pulley model and not at this location, I saw it a couple years ago and don't remember Table size, Spindle taper, Speed range, weight etc. Should look kind of cute next to my 2MI
looks like it is a teens or 20s model.

The 1913 catalog smallest is 1 1/2. This had the feed gear box built into column on left side, no clues of how feeds get to knee (Cinc. did not bother to have any photos of right side - maybe feed drive is over there). No up and down feed on knee. The 1923 catalog has a #1 with the same set up. Has #10 B&S in spindle. Overarm is 4 1/4" dia. Weighs 3200. Table is 9 X 41 over all. This is also the first of my catalogs where the "M" series appear.

Brother Victor lives down the road from you in the "big town" of AK.

John

Looks like catalog illustration - nice to see right side too.

Even in the 1913 catalog, these were already fading away as the way to drive the spindle with by far more geared head mills, even though their first efforts used a crude tumbler system to drive spindle.

John

Thanks for replys, I traded an antique engine to a friend and will get pictures soon. It looks like that as far as I remember. Clearly was marked Cincinnati #1 up top. B&S taper aaaargh, Oh well
I can pick up bits and pieces and always make some too ............

Bumping back up now that mill is in yard.......Looks older than I thought now.....Marked on storage door on column: No 1,
Universal, The Cincinnati Milling Machine Co, Cinc OH, Patented 18?? 188?
Clearly a Cincinnati #1 It is a universal, 10 B&S taper. No backgears, 4 step spindle, no gearbox. Feed controlled by a 4 step pully belt driven from rear of spindle. One T slot in table, Will definetly require some work to get Z freed up, but rest seems easy enough. 2 patent dates last one looks like 1882

Lucky to have original countershaft pulley also...

John Oder see anything like that in older catalogs?

Thanks John,
Hmm a genuine Antique
It is around 0 F out so I will try to take some pics soon. Neat little mill with coolant pump and primitive feed drive system

Need to gather some line shaft stuff, and hook up one of my old Gas Engines
Strange it has no backgears. Must be why it uses a 3 inch or so wide drive belt. Any idea where to scrape through (Patina
) for serial number? Has dealer plate, Perine Machinery Co Machinery Merchants Seattle ......

On my 1919 #4 vert. it was at top of left side vert way (column)

I think the horizontals had it either above or below spindle on face of column, but I expect as old as that one is it would more likely just have lot numbers, which meant something to the CMM management back in the day (?) but after over a 100 years no longer has much meaning.

Next size up had back gears

John

I work for a machinery dealer and we have that exact mill in the picture it is the machine we use to do all of our milling work for repairs and what ever. Our mill has some funny little head on it, it sort of looks like a home made early bp or rusnock but it takes brown and sharp collets I dont even know what kind but they are imposible to get out even with the proper draw bar to push them out.

From a little bit of poking around, It looks like 150 or so RPM on Lineshaft was common for metal working equipment. What speeds should a 4 step # 1 Mill Spin.... 50 to 200 RPM or so? No Speed range plate, with no backgears looks like I can set it up for either Cast Iron/Steel. Aluminum speeds would probably melt spindle bearings

August 1897 #1 had 80 and 150 available at countershaft which gave 8 spindle speeds.

A little measuring of cone steps and some simple "figuring" will reveal actual speeds at spindle.

A good idea on any plain bearing machine is to get spindle lube feed systems (however primitive they may be) really clean along with bearings themselves and then treat the machine to some good spindle lube such as Exxon Mobil Velocite #10.

Don't know if your oldie had same, but by '97 the front spindle journal was tapered and housed in a "genuine Babbitt metal" box while the rear journal was straight and in a phosphor bronze box. The tapered front was adustable by "lock nut" (possibly related to thrust surface)

John

Back