What's new
What's new

Full lineshaft machine shop, still producing.

Thanks John, I was going to do this, but I kinda, well, I forgot!

It really is an incredible place, well worth fighting our way across the George Washington Bridge!!

Nick

Until Simonds Tool moved manufacturing from Newcomerstown Ohio to South America a few years ago, the file cutting machines were still operated from line shafts. I did a job in 2006 installing motors on new line shafts at the plant. When the plant was scrapped out in the summer of 2007 there was still a department set up for line shaft and belt maintenance

File cutting machines

Until Simonds Tool moved manufacturing from Newcomerstown Ohio to South America a few years ago, the file cutting machines were still operated from line shafts. I did a job in 2006 installing motors on new line shafts at the plant. When the plant was scrapped out in the summer of 2007 there was still a department set up for line shaft and belt maintenance

Were any of the file cutting machines saved? I would love to have a lineshaft file cutting machine. I have been looking for one for a long time. I figured that they had been scrapped out a long time ago and replaced with new ones.

Rob

Lineshaft

Great---About 45 years ago I started my apprentice at Sebewaing Tool & Engineering, and the first job of every day was oiling the lineshaft. I got my Tool & Die papers the hard way.
Thru the years I helped convert many of the machines to motor, with DoAll transmissions. Anyway after 40 years I reired. I kick myself in the --- for not taking pictures of the line shaft and the old machines.
The shop is still going. I stopped in last year and they had the last of some of the old machines loaded on the truck, headed for the junk.
Another piece of the past gone!
Bob

I am a tad confused regarding their business model:
from the FAQ;

What sets Tower Optical apart?
Tower Optical does not sell its binocular viewers. Our business is based on manufacturing the best quality viewer on the market and backing it with service, replacement parts and maintenance all at no charge to our clients.

Later they mention a 'contract.'

Anyone know how they make a living?

Other than that mystery.. that is a seriously cool place. Thanks for sharing.

-DU-

I'd assume there's some kind of lease or fixed-rate rental contract, with no extra fees for repair or service.

Probably also a reason their main manufacturing facility is being posted in the antique section of this site, too.

I am a tad confused regarding their business model:
from the FAQ;

Later they mention a 'contract.'

Anyone know how they make a living?

Other than that mystery.. that is a seriously cool place. Thanks for sharing.

-DU-

David,

When they install a binocular, it is either on a pre determined contracted sum, or a percentage from the "cash box" inside the machine. Either way, they since they do not sell, they are responsible for all maintenance and repairs/rebuilding of the units...and they do this every year....then the same unit is returned to where it was removed from.

All the refinished heads you see in the pictures are tagged for reinstallation.

Nick

Were any of the file cutting machines saved? I would love to have a lineshaft file cutting machine. I have been looking for one for a long time. I figured that they had been scrapped out a long time ago and replaced with new ones.

Rob

Most of the larger machines were converted to motor drive and shipped to Honduras. The machines that remained were destroyed per a contractual agreement with simonds and the scrap company. I tried to save the cutter that made files for the leatherman tools but it had to go too. In 2007 hundreds of small specialty file cutting machines went to the furnace. The machines that were moved were about 100 years old and originally built by Heller Brothers. I did manage to save the planer that these machines were made on. On a very sad note, all of the original patterns that were used to cast the file cutters were burned to reclaim bismuth.

Last edited:
We've used that expression for years.

What exactly ARE the cockles?

Quote [Most of the larger machines were converted to motor drive and shipped to Honduras. The machines that remained were destroyed per a contractual agreement with simonds and the scrap company. I tried to save the cutter that made files for the leatherman tools but it had to go too. In 2007 hundreds of small specialty file cutting machines went to the furnace. The machines that were moved were about 100 years old and originally built by Heller Brothers. I did manage to save the planer that these machines were made on. On a very sad note, all of the original patterns that were used to cast the file cutters were burned to reclaim bismuth.] Unquote

Short term profits - long term losses.

Definitely not "keepers of the flame."

Take heart. Even in their day, hand cut files were considered "superior" to machine cut. Something about the slight irregularity created by the hand work which aids in preventing chatter.

Joe in NH

Rivett;

Their are a few shops in my area that still are on line shafting. Most are Amish owned. A good friend of mine has qiute a complete shop. Several Bridgeports, about a 20" swing lathe, and anything else you can think of. All powered by a Petter diesel.

It is quite pleasant to go there when he is working to hear the belts "singing" and the shaft cleaners (rings to keep dust off the shafts) clanging and rolling around.

He's quite an innovative guy. The motor controller is off an Evinrude outboard motor and if you've never seen a Bridgeport on a line shaft, it is really cool.

Craig Donges

Thanks Nick. That is an interesting business model. Apparently it has worked for 75 years!

I didn't see any "new" units in the photos.

I guess I grew up using those binoculars (as we all did) and just considered them to be ubiquitous. Most of them have worked just fine. Some were in need of an overhaul. They are pretty amazing when one considers the environmental issues and the abuse they get. If I can get them interested I will try and arrange to take some of my students up there... a good lesson in solid design practice.

-DU-

Back