What's new
What's new

Greaves Cincinnati mill info needed

brian18a

Plastic
I just aquired a Greaves Cincinnati No 2 horizontal mill, with vertical head. Would like to know how much it weighs. A Cincinnati model 2ML vertical and a Milwaukee model K 2 plain come with it as no cost bonus.
Picture to follow when it let me.

Attachments

• Greaves Cincinnati horizontal mill with vert head.jpg
    Greaves Cincinnati horizontal mill with vert head.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4,452
Last edited:
That is the most capable vertical attachment for a horizontal mill I have seen. Then, I never worked in a shop, so my experience is limited. Looks better than my old van norman vert/horz setup, which I liked. I assume the head can be removed or there is some trick to setup the end support for the long horizontal arbors?

I've lusted for a Toolmakers Overarm equipped H. mill. I'm jealous. I have some literature copied for that model of Greaves mill-I think. Won't cover the overarm.

IIRC the basic mill is just shy of 4,000lbs. Total with overarm should be under 5,000.

Scott

Here is the copy of the Army Manual for the Greaves 2xs and 2h mills. http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2001_retired_files/greavesmill.pdf It is too large to upload here for posterity so I am putting a link instead. If the link goes bad pm me and I'll email you a copy.

I just picked up a Greaves as well that also has the toolmaker's overarm. I don't think they are common but if several are trading hands at one time maybe they aren't that rare either. Mine is also a universal mill with swivel table. I can't tell by looking at the pix if yours is a universal mill or not? The overarm and swivel combination sort of grabbed me. 7.5hp on the horizontal and 3hp on the overarm and 50 Tapers makes for a pretty neat package.

I am interested in an owner's manual, parts book, etc--I usually try to buy an original copy but would be glad to get my hands on a copy of Greaves material if someone has anything.

I checked my manual. Base weight is 3920lbs. A toomaker overarm with double swivel, and 2MT spindle weighs 600 lbs.

I have the impression that Cinci, K&T, B&S, and probably even Van Norman all ranked ahead of Greaves in production numbers, but there are some around, and I liked the two I've had very well.

I've got a few extra pretty good quality bound copies of my original 2H literature. It's the "operation, service, and parts" manual plus a thin sales brochure. I find the pages on various attachments (rack cutter, slotter, V. head, toolmakers overarm) especially interesting as low production and high attrition results in rarity. PM for details if interested.

Scott

I checked my manual. Base weight is 3920lbs. A toomaker overarm with double swivel, and 2MT spindle weighs 600 lbs.
Scott

There must have been more than one type of overarm, or at least the head. You mention a 2mt spindle from the manual you have. The machine in this thread looks like a 40 taper to me. And mine has a 50 taper in both overarm and horizontal spindle. Other differences I can note from the pictures.
1. My overarm has a double swivel on the vertical head. I believe the one above is a single swivel
2. My machine has a universal compound table

My machine with overarm and no vise scales at 4970lbs. 12x60 table with 5 t-slots. I can' find a model number but it is very near identical to the machine above except for the differences in the vertical head and the universal option. I hope someone will come forward with more info about these machines. The more I look this one over the more attached I am getting to it. I'll start another thread and put some pix up after I knock some dust and grease off of it.

The pictured machine has 50 taper in both horizontal and the vertical head. Bravo5 you are correct that vertical head is single swivel. I cannot find model number or serial number on this machine. It has a two speed 1.5/3hp motor on the overarm. According to my 6000 lb forklift the Greaves must weight at least 5000. Not quite as heavy at the KT.
Yesterday the Greaves Cincinnati and it two companions the Kearney Trecker Milwaukee 2K horizontal mill and the Cincinnati 2MI vertical made there way home.
A picture after loading and ready to head home.

Attachments

• mill moving small.jpg
    mill moving small.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,023
When I bought my L&S, the guy also had a Cincy with the double swivel overarm. Could have gotten it cheap, but it had MAJOR internal gearbox issues... like a blown up gear and bent shaft. Needless to say, I passed.

I cannot find model number or serial number on this machine. It has a two speed 1.5/3hp motor on the overarm. .......A picture after loading and ready to head home.

I found what appear to be serial numbers stamped in two places. Near the left front on the overarm. Just below the overarm on the right front (left right determined by standing behind machine) . My machine also has the two speed motor on overarm. Does yours have jog switch on pendant?

Your trailer is bigger than mine--I would have had to make several trips for that load.

Here are two pictures of the Greaves 2xs I owned. I liked this mill except for low headroom under V. head-Toolmaker overarm would have solved that. Notice it has a 3hp feed motor on left side of knee, while the 2H runs feeds from spindle motor. Also note feed change levers on knee instead of column, and small crane for R&R of v. head to parking spot on side of column. Both spindles are 50 taper.

grvs2.jpg

grvs1.jpg

grvs4.jpg

The manual I have claims 3920 for both plain and universal table 2H, the 2xs felt more like 6,000 to me, and comparing them side by side the 2xs was slightly larger and beefier.

I would guess that Brian's right angle head would fit the horizontal spindle as well. Obviously different configurations of swivel, double swivel, and spindle taper were built.

PM your addresses, I'll send the stuff out next week. It's on me if you Guys will post more pictures.

Scott

Here is the copy of the Army Manual for the Greaves 2xs and 2h mills. http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2001_retired_files/greavesmill.pdf It is too large to upload here for posterity so I am putting a link instead. If the link goes bad pm me and I'll email you a copy.

I just picked up a Greaves as well that also has the toolmaker's overarm. I don't think they are common but if several are trading hands at one time maybe they aren't that rare either. Mine is also a universal mill with swivel table. I can't tell by looking at the pix if yours is a universal mill or not? The overarm and swivel combination sort of grabbed me. 7.5hp on the horizontal and 3hp on the overarm and 50 Tapers makes for a pretty neat package.

I am interested in an owner's manual, parts book, etc--I usually try to buy an original copy but would be glad to get my hands on a copy of Greaves material if someone has anything.
Link doesn't work. Is there a new link?

Back