What's new
What's new

Green grinder for sale

One of the machine tools used to build the Yellow Submarine.

Reminds of a shop I was hired in the early 70s. They had a Cincinnati mill that same green. An orange Axelson lathe and a radial drill painted purple.
The shop was in logging country Oregon of all places. I never could figure out what reasoning was behind the paint scheme other than it was something no one would forget.

Well, they didn't waste any money on masking tape. Since everything is Green, they must have rebuilt the whole grinder.

I wonder how they expect this to ever be usable without a major effort in paint removal?

Rebuild by Earl Scheib, for those of us old enough to remember the ads. Scheib was a cutrate chain of auto body/auto painting shops. "Any Car, Any Color, $39.95, coast-to-coast". With Earl Scheib,everything got painted: trim, tires, door handles... everything but the windshield, side windows and headlight got hit with paint. That grinder got an Earl Scheib rebuild. I think Scheib gave way to Maaco. I am surprised the grinder did not get a set of California flames in the paint job to really make it a more complete rebuild and a much finer machine tool.

Rebuild by Earl Scheib, for those of us old enough to remember the ads. Scheib was a cutrate chain of auto body/auto painting shops. "Any Car, Any Color, $39.95, coast-to-coast". With Earl Scheib,everything got painted: trim, tires, door handles... everything but the windshield, side windows and headlight got hit with paint. That grinder got an Earl Scheib rebuild. I think Scheib gave way to Maaco. I am surprised the grinder did not get a set of California flames in the paint job to really make it a more complete rebuild and a much finer machine tool.

Ads, Hell. Several of my crowd got the actual paint jobs. More of us yet may have inherited them with used cars

Weren't all that bad if one either masked, ELSE removed (bumpers, trim, door handles) and masked the openings, did yer own 'detailing' before and after.

Funniest one was one of the lads who had not yet found a replacement for a quarter vent window and forgotten to cover the opening.. Nice 'wedge' patterns of paint across interior driver's side 'stuff' didn't come off of everything it hit with equal ease. Much of it just remained there.

:)

This POS doesn't even look sprayed. Looks almost as if it were DIPPED!

Or even 'photoshopped'.

Bill

It's not such a bad color !

I don't think that is a bad color for a machine tool if the operator is named Kermit.

But, by golly ! They've even painted the drive belt !

It is now ready to be stored outdoors, without major rust, for a short time......think of how much better off some of the stored-outdoors rust-bucket machine tools we've discussed would have been if someone had spritzed them with paint like this !

What is the machine in the left background ?

JRR

Rats! In my innocence, I clicked this thread to see if I could buy another Green Instrument Co. model 208 engraving machine cutter grinder. They are very nice little machines and are painted black wrinkle.

Larry

DSC00460.jpg

it would have had a lot more sequins if Liberace owned it.

At least you won't have a guy say he couldn't find the piece of equipment. "Use the green one". Maybe thats the reasoning for odd colors, easy identification by people who don't know what they are. I was using that there green thing and it quit working.

Back