What's new
What's new

Hand Tacho: Maker Unknown, Owner Known

Asquith

Diamond

Tacho02_zps8ec6a81d.jpg

Hand-held revolution counter. Aluminium body and handle.

I’m posting this because I thought the instrument might be of interest, but also because I have found some information about its previous owner, which I thought was worth airing.

Some things puzzled me at first. Like how to start the stopwatch.

Well, when you push the spindle against the rotating shaft, the sliding movement starts the watch, and vice versa.

Another puzzle was the two ‘toggle switches’. In fact they are nothing more than oilers.

Tacho03_zps093fcec7.jpg

I have seen photos of two instruments with similar dials marked 'Moul & Co' or 'Moul & Cie' of London, 'Made in Switzerland'.

The quality of every part is very high. Anyone recognise the logo?. JSL? JLS? JS something, or any arrangement thereof?

More to follow.

The serial number is engraved, not stamped.

The name on the box is Frederick G Goodbehere (pronounced Goodbeer?).

I found a 1919 tribute in The Engineer, thanks to Grace’s Guide

Although he was only 67 when he died, he’d been in engineering for 55 years, having started at 12. The course of his career suggests that the tachometer must be at least 100 years old.

The 1919 tribute:-

'Much regret is felt amongst among engineers in this district at the sudden death of Mr F. G. Goodbehere, whose whole life may be said to have been devoted to the development and improvement of cotton spinning machinery.

'Mr. Goodbehere was at business until a few hours before his death, and it is probable that his end was hastened by the large amount of work he has done in the national interests since the war commenced.

'Mr Goodbehere was born in Manchester on December 6th, 1852. He commenced his business career with his uncle, the late Samuel Brooks, when a little over twelve years of age. He became a partner in 1895 in the firm of Brooks and Doxey, makers of textile machinery, of Manchester, and managing director on its conversion into a limited company in 1898 . The latter position he retained until July, 1914, when he retired, remaining a director of the company.

'He was also chairman of the Cotton Machinery Trust. Limited, a director of Eadie Brothers and Co., and the Brooks' Ring Traveller Companv. Upon the outbreak of war in August, 1914, Mr. Goodbehere immediately put. his energy into the production of munitions by his firm, and when the Manchester and District Armaments Output Committee was formed in 1915 he was appointed vice-chairman. As the various organisations for the production of munitions were formed, he became a member of the Rochdale Board of Management, which had under its charge the Rochdale National Shell Factory. Amongst his other activities, he was chairman of the North West Area Executive Committee, on which is represented every board of management in the North West Area; representative of the North-West Area. Board of the Central Executive of Boards of Management in London; and chairman of the West Area Stores and Purchase and Efficiency Committee. He was also representative of the National War Savings Association for dealing with local munition firms. He was chairman of the Foremen's Mutual Benefit Society and a past president of the Manchester Engineering Employers' Federation, and chairman of the Engineering Section of Manchester Chamber of Commerce.'

I may be off base with my interpretation of the monogram, but it may be an "HS" monogram. This would be Herman Sticht, a maker of dial type hand-held tachometers. I believe Sticht was a Swiss firm, and may still be in business. I've used Sticht more modern hand-held dial type tachometers a number of times, none so fancy as the one in this thread, though.
Joe Michaels

The fonts used on two 'clock' faces are quite different, do you think Fred bought a stop-watch movement and a counter movement from different retailers and then married them? (beautifully)

Could the 'JS' monogram just be a retailers mark?

Bill

Actually, I think they are the same typeface, just size and color changed. I didn't do an exhaustive comparison of every number, but all the ones I compared matched, as far as I could tell from the pictures.

Bill

I have three different Swiss tachometers.

The most modern of the three is centrifugal (think flyball governor). It is marked Herman H, Sticht Co. Inc., New York, N.Y. and serial numbered 573004. It has a five-speed gearing and can read from 30 to 12,000 RPM. I guess the date around 1960. There is no fancy logo, just the name on the dial and the case lid.

The next is chronometric (timer built in). It could date to around 1930-1950. The maker was S. A. Hasler, Berne, Switzerland. The serial number is 75000. It has a crudely engraved owner mark, "Vickers No. 65." That is the Vickers hydraulics company, USA. A big outfit, they probably had a lot more than 65 tachs. The Hasler company logo is a big G surrounding an H.

The old one, probably circa 1900, is also chronometric. It is signed on the dial, "Jaquet's Velox-Indicator, Made in Switzerland" and on the back, "H. H. Sticht, New York, N.Y." and serial number 69318. Again, no logo, just plain text. The dial counts to 100,000 RPM, but I have never tried it on a fast shaft.

I think JLS is likely for the OP tach, but don't know the maker.

Larry

Asquith, your conclusions concerning the oilers, and the method of starting the watch are spot on. If working correctly, depressing the shaft also engages the counter. The watch and counter are started and stopped simultaneously.
The Maker is James Jaquet, who started his business in 1888, and the monogram is his signature. Difficult to figure out, but it consists of a left facing "J" and a right facing "J" connected with flourishes. The instrument was called a Tachoscope by Jacquet.
Your model is very early, probably within a couple of years either side of 1900.
The earliest models had the clock and the counter on the front and reverse, not side by side.
The black spot in the middle changed color from black to red depending on the rotation of the shaft being measured. Black for CCW and red for CW, and tells the user whether to use the red or black markings on the dial.
The dials look correct and have not been replaced.
I have a early one with an aluminum case (different shape than yours), with the same oilers, and signed by a different maker "Biland". Probably made by Jacquet for Biland. Models after yours had a plated brass case, with the top and bottom going straight across and rounded ends. Later, again, the turned handle was replaced by an "ergo" design.
Very desirable collector piece.
Can furnish photos of various models, if desired.
Steve

Very Nice, If the Gentleman NEPA Green is who I think he is we are very pleased to have one of the leading experts on Speed Indicators with us. I think he may be known to my friend Dan whom I sent this link to this morning. Anyway Welcome.

I have one similar but a bit later..... it has a nickeled case and is straight across in the center lacking the "bow Tie" look. It's assembly # 16149 and is marked "James G Biddle, Philadelphia" and in tiny letters at the bottom of the dial it says "Made in Switzerland". Biddle was a retailer..... anyone know much about them? It seems they only imported Speed indicators.... did they handle other stuff? I see by your great photos mine is missing the toggles on the oilers (both) and the base of the other one........ the red simulated leather covered case contains the same items as yours however in a different arrangement .

Many years ago I saw a Japanese copy of one of these, kind of in the same way they had copied English drafting instruments around the time of WWII.

Thanks for posting it and great history of the owner..... I love it when tools have a history.

Imports did not need to show country of origin until 1890. That might indicate a first possible date for a tach that says Switzerland on it.

From my watch collecting days, i recall seeing items marked, "Bailey, Banks and Biddle, Philadelphia" obviously a jewelry retailer. They would have major watch companies put their name on the dial and movement, a practice called private branding. Probably Sticht had a similar relationship with Jaquet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_Banks_&_Biddle Like so many old American companies, the name still exists, but with none of the original soul.

Chronometric tachs would be serviced by jewelry/watch shops, so they may also have been sold in the jewelry shops. I once bought an Otis King cylindrical slide rule in a jewelry shop. You would have seen eyeglasses and drawing instruments in jewelry shops in the old days. I had a distant relative who was both a jeweler and a photographer in 1866.

That said, i have been looking up James G. Biddle. Biddle was a very common name in Philadelphia, it turns out. In 1893, James G. Biddle lived at 459 Marshall, and his job was clerk. There was a Biddle Hardware (Charles M. Biddle). The jewelry store Biddle was Samuel Biddle.

In 1904, James G. Biddle was listed as electrical instruments at 1114 Chestnut. In 1908, he was the president of American Instrument Co. In 1910, he was 40 years old, married with six children and a salesman for an electric company. In 1920, he was an importer of scientific instruments. In 1930, he owned a $60,000 house, had a second wife, one child lived at home, along with his mother-in-law and four servants. Occupation was electric appliance merchant. In 1940, he lived in a $40,000 home on a farm with his wife and three servants. Occupation was importer, electrical. He applied for a passport in 1920 for a trip to Europe. He was born 13Oct1868 and was missing part of the first, second and fourth fingers of his left hand. His father was John W. Biddle and both he and his father were born in Philadelphia.

This tach may be like the one Rivett has: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-vintage-jaquet-chronometer-138487063

Larry

Thanks

I'm surprised that the maker's name has been revealed, and amazed that it came forth so quickly. Many thanks, 'NEPA Green', for the valuable information you have provided. I’d be interested in seeing pictures of other models.

I've spent ages admiring the instrument, but I didn't think to wonder about the significance of the black and red numbers, despite the presence of helpful arrows :o I did wonder about the red and black 'flag' though, but even then the penny didn’t drop.

Thermite mentioned the time span. I, too, was amused to think of someone holding the indicator in place for the duration permitted by the small watch dial - 30 minutes!

I'm curious about the use of aluminium for the case and handle. Perhaps it was regarded as reassuringly expensive c.1900! Perhaps they also thought it wouldn't corrode or tarnish. Remarkably, it didn't!

rivett608, Thanks for the over generous compliments. Indeed, mutual friend Dan forwarded your link to me earlier today.

Asquith, I'm pretty sure not many folks held the instrument in place for more than the usual minute. Could have some fun though with a foolish apprentice. Interestingly, later models were available with the watch marked in 60 seconds to the minute or marked in 100ths of a minute for time study work. I will try to attach a Baird & Tatlock catalog page dated 1901 (courtesy of Google Books). Later, I will try to attach some photos.

Stevebooks_004 - Copy.jpg

Many thanks for the 1901 page. I’m not sure what else £5 10s 0d would have bought in 1901, but it doesn’t sound unduly expensive for the work that went into it.

Interesting that they cite its use on textile spinning machinery.

I note that they refer to it as Anti-Magnetic. Presumably this doesn’t imply anything special about the materials used as a whole, but simply reflects the general concern which used to prevail about taking timepieces near magnets?

The other item advertised is interesting in its own way - a stopwatch for determining the distance away from an explosion.

In the 1960s my contact with Biddle was related to high precision electrical instruments, Wheatstone bridges and the like. Everything was very much high end. I have a Biddle megger, which unfortunately some idiot decided to "improve". A hand cranked unit, very well made. Since I now have all of that sort of equipment I will ever need, I have not heard anything about the firm for a number of years. I suspect that, at least during the time I was seeing their salesmen, these tachometers were somewhat of a side issue.

Bill

Asquith

I have just done a bit of Googling regarding the comparative cost of the item now. It suggested a price of around £140, which I would regard as good value considering all the fine work involved.

Steve

Agreed. This is quite the thread. Scholarly would be an understatement.

This a pretty amazing place. I think researchers will be coming here for possibly decades to come.

Joe in NH

The decades to come part I wonder about........ this has become THE place for information about the various tools we play with.... but how stable is it in the long run? Is it archived somewhere? What happens to PM if something happens to the owner? I know a few folks that print out the threads they like and keep them in a 3 ring binder.... I have thought I should do that too..... some how I should find the time to print out things and somehow put them with the tools so someone when I'm gone could match it all up.... for example this thread, I have one of these, it is stored in a tool chest filled with speed indicators, there is no room in that chest for paper.... so how does someone in the future know that somewhere on a wall of book shelves is a note book about these things? As a matter of fact there is a note book that I did back in the day about speed indicators... I had a page for each example I knew of, shipped a few copies around to other collectors like Ken Cope and AntiquMac for their comments and compiled them into a master copy..... this was 15 to 20 years ago. I'm not even sure where that is now.... it's somewhere in my library?

Rivett,

I remember the binder! I think that was 60 years ago! :D And I recall the binder was saber toothed tiger hide using sea shell rings and cuneiform writing!!!

Didn't I have to send it back to you with the comments?

:cheers:

Back