What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Half Nut Lever Locked

I was thinking they may have clamped or pinned the lever open somehow to prevent an operator from engaging the half nuts. Can that be done?

My thoughts exactly

Easily done by a previous owner with apron off

Sounds like its time to have it off and see what's what

Don't know if there is an external raised boss for HNL - if there was, might want to look under supposed boss for hidden set screw

Sounds very likely the interlock mechanism on the feed shifter (cross/long). They have have locked it down, or as suggested on the SB forum, could just be gummed up from lack of use. Probably have to take the apron off to figure it out, either way. Not a big deal on a 10L, at least you don't need a forklift to hold it on the little SB.

Be sure to take a drag link socket and an impact driver (one of those that you whack with a hammer) with you. Those fasteners are a bitch to remove.

Can I remove the entire apron/saddle assembly by just sliding it off the right side after removing the lead screw bracket?

Yes, I've done this on a few south bends, be sure to loosen or better yet remove the gib on the back underside of the carriage, secure the lead screw with a peice of wire or rope or something so it's not just hanging there when you slide off the carriage, or if it's a change gear model it's pretty easy to just pull the screws holding on the bracket at the headstock end and slide the whole screw/banjo assembly out, come to think of it the gear boxes aren't too heavy so it could be done without much trouble on a quick change model as well. I think the most likely problem as others have said is that the lockout bar is stuck up with dried oil.

You can slide the saddle and apron off in one piece on some models- on this one I believe the apron will hit the bed foot.

FWIW- you should have stayed in the SB forum...if you want to see what you are dealing with in the noteworthy thread section the "82 SB 10" thread has good clear pics of the interlock in question.

EDIT- used to be the noteworthy thread section, now it is the "restoration thread" section....anyway,here it is-

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/82-heavy-10-restoration-256997/

You can slide the saddle and apron off in one piece on some models- on this one I believe the apron will hit the bed foot.

FWIW- you should have stayed in the SB forum...if you want to see what you are dealing with in the noteworthy thread section the "82 SB 10" thread has good clear pics of the interlock in question.

EDIT- used to be the noteworthy thread section, now it is the "restoration thread" section....anyway,here it is-

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/82-heavy-10-restoration-256997/

Thanks!

The third picture down in post #2 shows the lock plunger and the set screw. I will take a look at mine. I am guessing that mine will have that lock plunger moved over.

I'll toss this out...

You say you get no movement at all...the lever itselfitself may be seized in the housing.

Try a few light raps *straight back* on the halfnut lever...don't try to force it open or closed...*straight back toward the rear of the lathe...light raps though or you risk cracking something.
Ir just might free it up so you can close and open it by hand.

Maybe my memory is incorrect, but the apron is held to the carriage by two bolts. The QC gearbox is held on by two bolts. By removing the QC and lead screw as a single piece first, the carriage can be easily separated in less than the time it has taken you to start this thread. Then all things will be clear.

A follow up to this thread:

I disassembled the apron to get to the back. I removed the three bolts retaining the half nuts. I thought this would free them up to move. It turns out the dried up coolant was there too and had cemented them in position. I pried them off, cleaned and lubricated everything, and put it all back together. Everything is working now.

Thanks for all the help.

BTW: The lock plunger in the previous post had no bearing on this fix. The half nut is recessed to accommodate it.

Back