What's new
What's new

Help with a Hendey lathe

Camshaft

Plastic
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys. I work for a business that sells machine lubricants, and I have been charged with finding the recommended lube for a Hendey Lathe, serial number 577. That's all the info have. My boss was the only person who saw the machine, and he is on vacation this week. I can't get ahold of AABLE either. Anyone have an old manual out there?

No manuals. If mine, and the serial was correct, I would expect spindle bearings are bronze and that they predate the compressed Babbitt taper jobs and I would use Mobil Exxon Velocite #10 in the spindle bearings. I would use either Mobil Exxon Vactra # 2 or #4 on ways, or the similar stuff that still retains the "tackifiers". I would use Mobil Exxon DTE Heavy Medium in an oil can for the other oil holes.

John

Thanks johnoder! Those were the two products I was leaning towards; I sell the equivalent of those on most lathes I see in shops (I sell Shell, Citgo, and our own private label brand). I've never dealt with something as old as this Hendey, however. Better safe than sorry!

I'm no stranger to machining, but I'm not familiar with different brands of machines and their specific characteristics. I am very eager to learn, though. After reading countless articles about Hendeys I think I might like to try and seek one out! I am yet to find a disappointed Hendey operator.

Thanks again for your help!

Camshaft:

Aable Machine Tool has been out of business
since January 1, 2005. If you need information
about your Hendey lathe, shaper, planer or milling
machine I should have it in my files. Would you
please provide a few more details about your lathe
including the method of drive, number of quick
change boxes, swing and distance between centers
or bed length. Your serial number would indicate
a lathe built in 1890. When I get additional in-
formation, I can supply you with an operator's
manual and a parts book.

Hendeyman

1890? Wow! For a young guy like me, the thought of a machine that's survived for over a century and still works every day is awe-inspiring. Like I said, I have almost no inforation aside from the number. I want to see this machine in person, though. I'm amazed that this achine has survived all these years. I wonder if I could fit one in the back of the garage...

Sounds like another STOIC recruit. Great idea, find one of these fine old machines, put it in your garage and use it as the cast iron gods intended. ;)

Camshaft:

I want to clarify my statement about the age
of your lathe. The best of my knowledge, there
are no records available prior to lathe#762, made
in 1892. Information based on drawings and frag-
mentary documents, allows a degree of interpola-
tion with regard to lathes manufactured prior to
#762. Late 1890 to mid 1891 is a better estimate.
When you post pictures of your lathe, a comparison
can be made with the original drawings. The date
on the drawings will allow a circa within six
months of the date of manufacture. Sorry about
the ambiguity.

Hendeyman

Allright, I just finished up the quote today, and I want to thank y'all for the help. If I ever get the opportunity to visit this magnificent piece of machinery, I promise I’ll take plenty of pictures!

Back