What's new
What's new

Hendey shaper question

George Andreasen

Stainless
I'm slowly stripping and cleaning parts from my 20" Hendey friction shaper mentioned in a previous post. Clapper, vise and other external small parts are cleaned and painted or polished if appropriate. Just muscled the ram off this evening and got my first look down inside. No broken parts and the twin gears that drive the racks on the underside of the ram look very good. Then it hit me...how in the world did those gears get any lube? There's no sign of old grease (which would have drawn chips like a magnet anyway). Did they rely on oil dripping down from the ram slides or is there something I'm just not seeing? Maybe they weren't lubed at all?

Also, there's a galvanized sheet metal tray or pan just inside the front of the main casting where the ram sits. It's angled downward to the inside. Oil or chip catcher of some sort, or an add on by a previous owner?

George - I don't recall that there is any lubrication point for those two gears, other than oil dripping down from the ram ways as you suggest. The gears in my shaper did have some grease on them, which may have been applied manually at some time.

As for the galvanized pan, I suspect it is an add on by a previous owner, because my shaper certainly does not have one.

My 15" Hendy has the tray under the front of the ram also. Not sure what the purpose was. Mine has no apparent way to lube the gears either.

Mine also has little cups hanging from the casting under the ram, i assume to catch oil dripping from the ways.

Lee

Been away from the computer...just now got back.

The tray is interesting because one might have been an owner add on, but two? Maybe a factory suggested device of some sort? Who knows....

The little oil catchers are missing on mine and I might be hitting one of you up for dimensions. I'm pretty sure I could fabricate a close facsimile. Meantime I have to round up some sort of plastic barrel so the ram can go through the electrolysis process...hanging straight down surrounded by a sheet metal anode. Should clean quickly that way.

The table should be coming off this weekend with the help of an engine crane. That leaves just the pulley/clutch unit to be removed, so it will be down to a mere 1200 lbs. or so. That iron base is at least 3/4" thick. Really a straightforward, robust, simple machine. I like it.

Oh, Dave...I'll get pictures of the two diameter pulley as soon as I can and either post them or email them to you.

The little oil drip cups

Your post reminded me of how I almost lost one of those drip cups that hang on the rear of the ram ways. When I got home with the shaper, one of the cups had bounced off and was still lying on the trailer deck. Would have been a bit sick if it had fallen onto the roadway.

Reminds me to check for loose items on machines prior to transport. :rolleyes5:

Back