What's new
What's new

The mechanical principia; containing all the various calculations on water and steam

Jim Christie

Titanium
This book turned up when I was searching on archive.org .
The mechanical principia; containing all the various calculations on water and steam power, and on the different kinds of machinery used in manufacturing; with tables showing the cost of manufacturing different styles of cotton goods : Leonard, Charl

I took a quick look through it and thought that I would start a new thread since it may have information applicable to several older threads on this forum .
The Table of Contents starts here.
The mechanical principia; containing all the various calculations on water and steam power, and on the different kinds of machinery used in manufacturing; with tables showing the cost of manufacturing different styles of cotton goods

I had noticed I that there were some discussion about the power output from the waterwheel and the power requirements for grinding corn starting at post # 63 in this thread .
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ater-wheel-built-rock-mill-244985/index4.html
The Chapter on Water Power starts here The mechanical principia; containing all the various calculations on water and steam power, and on the different kinds of machinery used in manufacturing; with tables showing the cost of manufacturing different styles of cotton goods
and the chapter on Corn and Flour Mills starts here The mechanical principia; containing all the various calculations on water and steam power, and on the different kinds of machinery used in manufacturing; with tables showing the cost of manufacturing different styles of cotton goods
The largest part of the book is devoted to cotton and other textile mill machinery that were discussed in this and other threads a while ago
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/textile-mills-their-machinery-229276/
The chapter on Cotton Manufacturing starts here The mechanical principia; containing all the various calculations on water and steam power, and on the different kinds of machinery used in manufacturing; with tables showing the cost of manufacturing different styles of cotton goods
Regards,
Jim

Looks interesting...my download speed is slow.

I recently bought a book I read about her called, "Stronger than a Hundred Men", about history of the water-wheel. Apparently some things were still to be learned about wheel design and calculations in mid-1800's. I suppose the steam info would have been pretty close by 1848.

Back