What's new
What's new

Help Identifying change gear set

hfmaxi

Plastic
I'm trying to figure out where these change gears might have come from and what they could be used for. There are 41 gears with 94-24 teeth in 20DP with 5/8 in width and .683 in bore measured. Some are marked "DPC-1401". They've been in an wooden ammo box for probably 30 years and there were no other geared machines in the shop they came from (my grandfathers). I always assumed they were for a south bend 9 but once I got everything up and running it was obvious that they were not. 20dp gears with 5/8in bore seem relatively common but I haven't been able to find anything with a similar face width.

Any help is appreciated.

I had posted this on the south bend sub-forum but didn't get much feedback so I asked a mod to move my other thread but never heard back from them.

gears.jpggear thickness.jpggear id.jpggear od.jpg

My first priority is to find a good machine that may need them (if one exists) the second priority is to get them out of my shop. It's a full set plus a couple duplicates so I figured they belong to something.

My first priority is to find a good machine that may need them (if one exists) the second priority is to get them out of my shop. It's a full set plus a couple duplicates so I figured they belong to something.

You have our contact information. Email if you decide. Thank you for your time.

They could belong to quite a few machines of all types, ...with the closeness of the tooth counts gear shapers like the Fellows came to mind.

That said, in this day and age, if you want rid and get something even approaching a fair offer, I'd count my blessings and take the money.

They could belong to quite a few machines of all types, ...with the closeness of the tooth counts gear shapers like the Fellows came to mind.

That said, in this day and age, if you want rid and get something even approaching a fair offer, I'd count my blessings and take the money.

Thanks. That gives me something to look into. In regards to good machine/ good home; I don't know where they came from, if it's something oddball that someone has been looking for I think it's better that it can get used but if it's not that's fine too. I will get in touch with someone that wants it regardless.

... gear shapers like the Fellows came to mind.
Not a Fellows, anyway. Fellows are 16dp and 1" face width, even back before the tri-lobe versions. And I've never seen a factory one that wasn't cast.

Judging by the fact that these are machined all over from steel, I'd say they were home-made.

Was there a dividing head in the shop? Horizontal Milling machine?
Those might be a set to adapt one of those to a milling machine table.

only a south bend 9, atlas shaper and a rong fu 25 (slighty newer than the other stuff) as far as anyone can remember.

That is what I believe them to be. :cool: I am getting ready to make some more, so thought to see what you needed for those seeing as they are not doing you any benefit just sitting there. However, Mr. Oder's offer is much, much more than mine would have been, so you'd do well to be nice, buy him a cup of coffee, and see if his offer still stands. Given the fact that people with hobbing machines are in the activity of making them to begin with, you're not going to strike gold. I will continue making the ones we need to fill in the few gaps we still have from over the years. Now, if you had some of the large Primes, we would be discussing something else. :D

Best Regards.

Back