What's new
What's new

Help identifying a lathe

John23

Plastic
Hello Everyone

I recently picked up a little lathe and am hoping to identify the make and model in hope of getting a instruction manual so I can select what threads I want to cut .

The motor and swtich are Australian made with the motor being made by Noyses Bros and the switch being made by Rofo Australia.

All are in matching red which I believe to be original .

Anyway here are some pics and fingers crossed someone out there knows what she is
IMG_3204_zpsgdv3eyqr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3205_zpseyc9ibdj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have never used a machine before which dose not have a gearbox feed/pitch selection.
If the machine is not identifiable is there anyway to simply determine what gear selection will result in what thread?

Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard, John!

I hate to break the news to you, but discussion of hobby-type machines is forbidden on this site. The moderator will be along shortly to lock this thread and slap your wrist. Don't take it personally, it happens a lot. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, so it's worthwhile to stick around and learn from pros.

In answer to your question, there are formulae to determine the gear combination required to give a certain thread. Here are some links that may help you:

Change Gears for Threading - LittleMachineShop.com

My Lathe: Threading Gears - Calculator

Ohhh

Guess I will go buy a larger machine and come back to play with the big kids at a later date ! Lol

Thanks for the links !
I will study them and hopefully it is enough to get me though .

I have documented some combos but it is hardly a good system making test cuts.

Thanks

I suppose you could make some machinable wax cylinders and try out gear combinations. Just remelt the scrap to make more test pieces. For that matter wood should be good enough for rough measurements.
For the wax I use candle type wax and the plastic bags that furniture and mattress stores throw away for the LDPE. At least I think it is LDPE, it might be HDPE I suppose.
Bill D.

I was hoping someone would ID the lathe. The compound looks like a SB, and I know there were some SB copies made in Australia.
It doesn't look like an early Hercus model C nor a Sheraton, but I'm very far from being an expert.

PS, if the spindle gear has the same # of teeth, and the leadscrew the same pitch, then any lathe using a direct takeoff through a gear set should use the same numbers of teeth. For instance, if the leadscrew is 8 TPI and the spindle gear is 40 (For example, I'm not going out to look at one of my old lathes) then the chart and gears needed for yours will be the same as for that brand lathe.

The feature that will likely make it identifiable is the way the direction of the leadscrew is alternated.
It is done in a rather unique way, i have never seen it before.

It may be a "hobby" lathe but it's also antique or at least vintage. It looks to be a well built lathe and this is the "Antique" section. I've never seen this particular model before and I too am interested as to whom made it. Let the discussion continue.

It may be a "hobby" lathe but it's also antique or at least vintage. It looks to be a well built lathe and this is the "Antique" section. I've never seen this particular model before and I too am interested as to whom made it. Let the discussion continue.

+1

Unique machine.

Tailstock quill lock is southbend.

The V-way bed is hardinge.

The dual handles on the compound and cross slide are Schaublin flavor.

The handwheel on the end of the leadscrew is myford.

Does it have half nuts to disengage the carriage from the lead screw? A
picture of the front of the apron would help.

The offset oil cups for the spindle bearings, unusual.

Likewise that reverse tumbler setup!

+1 Not so much 'hobby' in Australia as necessity. Loong supply lines = long delays. Sparse population, may not even try to order parts from overseas.

Sumthin' broke, it had to be fixed, and soon, and locally. ELSE done without.

Looks to be a fairly competent all-around machine for its size and probable cost, not a toy.

Bill

And the "Adept" line and Sputniks that did cleverish things with top slides..

Nor sure what that means. Anyway:

The myford is similar in layout being the bed, and longitudinal feed screw (lead screw). Headstock mounting looks similar too, overall looks like modification from over headstock drive to under-drive. Carriage of op's lathe is asymmetrical similar to other U.K. Mayford clones I have seen.

Welcome aboard, John!

I hate to break the news to you, but discussion of hobby-type machines is forbidden on this site.

Only discussion of CERTAIN hobby-type machines is forbidden (Atlas, anything Chinese, ect.). Plenty of other lathes of similar size, like this one, are allowed.

Andy

Nor sure what that means.

"Adept"? Easily researched. Try Tony's lathes.co.uk site.

British made, imported to Australia, later copied locally. A 'Sputnik' is a 'fellow traveler'.

Characteristic was small size, low cost, odd-looking carriage and/or top slides designed specifically to be easily re-purposed for light-duty milling & c. and provision for making dual-use of the leadscrew accordingly.

THIS lathe is 'in' Australia, but may not have been made there - or in the UK.

Czech & Austrian firms, among others, also made dual-use / flexible small lathes & mills.

Few would impress as lathes.

Many would be much appreciated by small motor, auto, marine repair shops or on farms where lots of 'stuff' needs repair and other options eat up too much time due to distance.

Bill

Back