What's new
What's new

Help identifying Leblond Regal steady rest

Live24wheel

Plastic
Hello all,

I bought this steady rest thinking it would fit my 15" round head regal. Unfortunately it looks like its for a size or 2 larger. I have searched high and low for others with similar measurements but can't find anything. Any idea if it is for a 17" or 19" perhaps?

Thanks!

my photos upload

That steady is for a later model, post 1955 LeBlond Regal lathe; ie: that bed will have removable hard way bars and the front way bar is rectangular and at a negative 20° angle (downhill) relative to the rear way.

This steady was never intended to fit a round head lathe bed with double vee ways.

From its appearance, I'm guessing it will not fit a 15 inch LeBlond Regal lathe bed. As I recall, the 15 inch Regal steady rests have double sets of 3 tapped holes for locking the adjustable roller jaws. Your steady only has one set of 3 tapped holes for locking the adjustable roller jaws.

Mike

That steady is for a later model, post 1955 LeBlond Regal lathe; ie: that bed will have removable hard way bars and the front way bar is rectangular and at a negative 20° angle (downhill) relative to the rear way.

This steady was never intended to fit a round head lathe bed with double vee ways.

From its appearance, I'm guessing it will not fit a 15 inch LeBlond Regal lathe bed. As I recall, the 15 inch Regal steady rests have double sets of 3 tapped holes for locking the adjustable roller jaws. Your steady only has one set of 3 tapped holes for locking the adjustable roller jaws.

Mike

Thanks for the information. So you say it would fit a post 1955 regal, however not a 15". What size do you think it would fit? I am trying to figure this out so I can sell it, and hopefully locate the correct one. I bought this one off a member on here thinking it would fit mine, but unfortunately am learning the hard way.

Also, do I need to be looking for one with the double set of threaded holes for locking the rests, or does that still not denote the year range? I found one and am working on getting measurements but haven't heard back yet... Thanks for all the help.

You should measure the base dimensions of your current steady rest and post them in your thread (width of base, dimension from centerline of vee to centerline of flat and the dimension from flat to centerline of the 4.25 inch through bore.) With that info, a member may be able to determine which size lathe it will fit.

I think you need a steady, which resembles the one in this photo, but there is no guarantee on that!

1626.jpg

Mike

You should measure the base dimensions of your current steady rest and post them in your thread (width of base, dimension from centerline of vee to centerline of flat and the dimension from flat to centerline of the 4.25 inch through bore.) With that info, a member may be able to determine which size lathe it will fit.

I think you need a steady, which resembles the one in this photo, but there is no guarantee on that!

View attachment 206105

Mike

There is a ruler laying in front of the steady in a couple of the pictures. It is about 6 5/8" from the top of the "V" to the outside of the flat, and 7 1/2" from the flat upward to the centerline. I looked through my Leblond manual last night and I see the steady listed in there and it does picture one just like what you posted. I found this eBay ad last night however and it is a near matching lathe to mine however it has a newer style steady, no idea if it is the correct steady though... 1944 LeBlond Regal Roundhead 15" Vintage Metal Lathe

The 13" round head had two versions and the beds were different.The smaller version just had "13"cast in the headstock.The heavier version had the name as well "LeBlond 13".If the 15 was available that way it makes your search that much more complicated.I think thats why he says theres no guarrantee.
I got a steady like the one Mister Honey shows,but had to machine it and put a plate on it to fit my smaller 13".

Back