What's new
What's new

Help identifying this old lathe

6sigmaford

Aluminum
Help identifying this old Sidney Lathe

Evening all. I just brought this old girl home. I have searched for hours and can't find a good match on the Web. The headstock is labeled Sidney Tool Company. Some pieces look similar to the documented Sidney lathes on the Web. Others don't quite match up. Any ideas from the attached pics. I could not spot a serial number beyond the gear.

Last edited:
Okay how do you post Pictures?

Evening all. I just brought this old girl home. I have searched for hours and can't find a good match on the Web. The headstock is labeled Sidney Tool Company. Some pieces look similar to the documented Sidney lathes on the Web. Others don't quite match up. Any ideas from the attached pics. I could not spot a serial number beyond the gear.

Photos and illustrations click "Go Advanced" new page opens and scroll down to "Manage attachments".

Pop up window opens titled Manage Attachments and click on "Add Files" and then "Choose File".

Pick the file/photo stored from a location on your computer. Then click "Upload File" and the file appears in the Manage Attachments window at the bottom.
Click the mouse curser within the "Your Message" window
like so:Natlscansm.jpg
and then click"Insert Online" in Manage Attachments and the image will load into the massage window. If done with Manage Attachment window click "Done" or just close it.
Limit five photos per post. There is a kb size limit. This image was originally 125 kb and PM resized it to 95 kb.
The image is courtesy of Joder.

Thanks - I believe I have it now. Photo attached - more coming.

Attachments

• sidneylathe..jpg
    sidneylathe..jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 386
More picture goodness - easy guys this girl is spoken for...

More pics - I see the Sidney gear information plaque but could not locate anything else. The lathe looks like other Sidneys posted but not exact on the carriage controls. Maybe very old version? It measured a 13-14" swing.

I tried to find the normal faults, but she seems to weathered nearly a century without too much abuse. I will get a clean shot of the ways. When I cleaned them last night, I was suprised to see very few impact marks or other hamfisted abuse.

The back gears were engaged easily, unchipped and spin freely. Kudos to the design materials as maintenance doesn't seem to be a priority with previous owners. Carriage half nuts engage and little play in the carriage when engaged. Compound is a little sloppy, but the cross-feed was surprisingly tight. Quick change selector moved like it was ball bearings very smooth.

I could not let this girl go. So, I wedged it into my already crammed garage. Guys like me need a support system, and I thank you all for the work you do here. Saving these lathes is an active act of genealogy that my Dad would be proud of me doing.

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 236
  • belt drive.jpg
    belt drive.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 238
  • carriage and bed.jpg
    carriage and bed.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 274
  • carriage.jpg
    carriage.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 518
  • gear selector.jpg
    gear selector.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 272
one pic is not posting right - punting

the gear selector badge

Attachments

• sidney gears.jpg
    sidney gears.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 128
Looks like a Sidney, just older and smaller than most you see on the web. I don't recall seeing another one with t-slots on the carriage.

allan

We will get it back under power tomorrow. Interested in the apron operation. Anybody know anything about a push-pull on the apron. Looks like some field cobbling was done with a washer.

Photo upload not showing

Did I hit a file size limit. The manage attachments isn't showing up anymore.

YOU HAVE TO BE IN ADVANCED

Its been several forum upgrades since I got a "too big" notice, but as near as I know it will tell you if the file size is too large. Thumbnail is an example of small file size but huge result

Did I hit a file size limit. The manage attachments isn't showing up anymore.

Attachments

• ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 447
Okay mystery solved. I had to go to full site to attach - dunno

IMG_4590.jpg

This should be more clear. Note the position selector (upper middle left) is quite differen than the from other Sidney lathes online. No pin detent selector - you loosen the knob and move to one of three positions and retighten to hold the position. The selector moves into a detent position when tightened. Clutch seems normal.

The washer looks like a field fix. In other Sidney notes they mention a push-pull disconnect ... thoughts?

Now there is a photo. Normal single clutch apron. Many lathes have individual clutches for long and cross feed, and three position lever is for forward / reverse / threading (when the feed gearing is disabled during use of lead screw) As to a pair of clutch knobs, see post #16

On this Sidney, you are selecting long / cross / threading (centered)

If it has a safety interlock (between feeds/threads) you will not be able to engage half nuts (right hand lever) unless select lever is in central position

Its common for those cast iron cone clutches to get STUCK disengaged - at which time you have no power feeds:)

On Edit...here is Joe's 15" - has the pair of apron clutches

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-sidney-returns-dead-228630/?highlight=Sidney

Last edited:

Back