What's new
What's new

Help needed restoring a Hauser tilting rotary table.

Jeremiah L

Plastic
Hello All,

Any help understanding how to take this rotary table off will be appreciated.

Basically, I got this rotary table from my grandpa who used to own a mill shop. I want to get it back up and running so that I can use it. Everything basically works, except the table rotating axis is a little sticky. It requires a lot of force to get the table to turn... The tilting axis works with little effort. My guess is that grease residue has developed on the rotational components, which is impeding the operation of this axis. I'm thinking that by taking it apart, I can access the gears and give it a good cleaning...

So, I started taking parts off thinking that it was gummed up with grease. I took the crank handle off and was able to see into the gear housing, and noticed that it was totally empty of oil.. My understanding is that these should be half full of oil, but not a single drop came out when I opened the drain port at the bottom.

Long story short, I've taken everything off that I can access a fastener too, but still can't figure out how to take off the table... I don't want to force anything.

I've added some pictures that will hopefully help identify the model, and show what I'm talking about.

Let me know if there are additional photos, or information that I can identify.

IMG_0892.jpgIMG_1984.jpgIMG_9661.jpgIMG_2052.jpgIMG_4548.jpg

I was finally able to get the table top apart with some negotiation.

It turns out that there are two pins that are installed on the tilting axis of the table that engage two dowels that hold the table top in station wise alignment with the housIMG_6808.jpgIMG_6808.jpgIMG_6808.jpging. After loosening the tilt axis pins I noticed that the rotary table top had some movement. I used a couple of pry bars to lift the table top enough to disengage the table dowels so that I was able to get it off...

Warning to anyone doing this... A pungent aroma emitted from the gear compartment that smelled like fermented dinosaur oil... It was horrific... Be advised...

I've added some pictures for your amusement, and will make a video of the disassembly at my earliest opportunity.

IMG_5406.jpgIMG_6808.jpgIMG_6882.jpg

Thanks so much for documenting this and for making the video. really helpful!! I appreciate it!

Back