What's new
What's new

Help with oil cross reference

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I'm working on cross referencing the oil listed for the spindle bearings in my Wade 8A. It's "Colonial Beacon Spinesso #38".
Standard Oil of New York bought Colonial Beacon in the earlier part of this century. The company was eventually absorbed into Mobil, which is now ExxonMobil.
A Google search turned up a page indicating that Spinesso #38 and Esso Teresso #43 are equivalent. The transmission in the Wade Model 94 uses Teresso #43, so that would make sense, I guess. Teresso is a steam turbine oil. Further Googling also seems to imply that the Spinesso name is used overseas, but not in the US.
Exxon makes a turbine oil called Terrestic, which I'm guessing is the replacement for Teresso. But I'm not sure.
Anyone have any info or ideas of where to go next? Calling ExxonMobil is one option, but I figure I ought to budget a couple hours to do that

Andy

Hi Andy
Were you able to find a comparable oil for Spinesso #38? What are you using now? I'm also searching for the correct oil for my Wade 8A bearings.

Rick

Andy, in your cross-reference hunt, did you find what viscosity the originally recommended oil was (AGMA, ISO, centistokes, SuS at temp, or some other recognizable units)? If so, it should be pretty simple to identify a modern, widely available oil that will work well.

Edit: I found a cross-ref for Teresso 43 that says it's an ISO 32 oil. Mobil DTE Light or Mobil DTE 24 (or any of their many competing equivalents) should work OK. If you find those a bit too thick, go down to Mobil DTE 23 or Mobil Velocite 10, which are ISO 22 viscosity.

2nd Edit: I found a direct cross-ref from "Spinesso 38 or Teresso 43" to Mobil DTE Light. It also lists LABO Prima 30, ANTAR Misola AH, BP Energol HL 50 or 65 ESSO, SHELL Tellus 21 or 27, and TOTAL Azolla 20. It uses viscosity units I've never encountered before, Engler at temp, so I was happy to have the explicit list.

Good point, John, I didn't notice the date on the original post. Hopefully, the information I provided will be of use to rrb56, who asked today.

My Graziano manual (1970's) specifies Esso Teresso 43 for the apron and the transmission. Back in the 1980's I contacted both Mobil and Shell in NZ and their technical staff recommended:

Mobil DTE Oil Light
Shell Tellus 32

The Graziano uses Teresso 47 in the headstock and feedbox, they recommended:

Mobil DTE Oil Medium
Shell Tellus 46

The above makes it sound like the graziano has four oil sumps? Xmsn, feedbox,apron,headstock. Mine has three I think. Headstock transmission. Feedbox transmission. Apron. Am I missing something? Sounds like shell and Mobil both have suitable products. Other suggestions?

Back