What's new
What's new

Help setting Potter & Johnston shaper stroke length

Caleb Kullman

Plastic
I just acquired a 14" (I believe) Potter & Johnston shaper. I have never operated a shaper but would like to start using the machine for a few things. How do I adjust the length of stroke on this machine? Also, I think I understand the power downfeed mechanism but could use a little explanation on how to adjust and set the x axis feed per stroke. Does anyone have a manual or know where I can find one for this thing? Photos are attached.
Thank again,
Caleb

Attachments

• shaper1.jpg
    shaper1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 170
  • shaper2.jpg
    shaper2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 210
  • shaper3.jpg
    shaper3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 211
  • shaper4.jpg
    shaper4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 195
  • shaper5.jpg
    shaper5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 208
Move crank pin further away from center for longer travel and nearer to center for shorter

Your machine is from around 1900 - simply no manuals existed then. Instead, comprehensive TOMES in multiple volumes were written by such as Joshua Rose on the practical aspects of machine tools. See his three volume set Modern Machine Shop Practice - a contemporary to your P&J
Here is me with mine not quite fifty years ago

Attachments

• Cinc and Potter Johnston.jpg
    Cinc and Potter Johnston.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Thank you to both of you who replied. That seems straightforward enough. I will play around with it a bit. When I started to turn the machine over with the hand wheel, it seemed like it interfered with the x axis feed arm - with the feed arm tightened down I couldn't fully turn the machine over, but with it disengaged the machine turned over smoothly. What is the secret to getting the feed adjusted properly so that too much torque isn't placed on the feed arm? I have seen pictures of machines with these arms bent and don't want that result. Cool old photos John. The machine is really a beautiful piece of workmanship.

The "feed arm" or rod merely actuates a ratchet. Getting it nearer center of the driving end will reduce the arc length the ratchet travels and thus the amount it turns the feed screw in the cross slide.

If any thing is stuck or binding in this simple system, the machine will not want to "turn over"

Thank you to both of you who replied. That seems straightforward enough. I will play around with it a bit. When I started to turn the machine over with the hand wheel, it seemed like it interfered with the x axis feed arm - with the feed arm tightened down I couldn't fully turn the machine over, but with it disengaged the machine turned over smoothly. What is the secret to getting the feed adjusted properly so that too much torque isn't placed on the feed arm? I have seen pictures of machines with these arms bent and don't want that result. Cool old photos John. The machine is really a beautiful piece of workmanship.

Sales flyer

Here is a scan of a sales flyer for the P&J 15 inch universal. It also shows the optional power rotary feed that unfortunately you don't have (nor do I on mine).
Potter Johnston 15 inch shaper flyer.jpg

As said, open the side door with the shelf on it to adjust stroke. When running, the forward stroke should be on the upper end of the yoke. If forward is on the lower end, the motor is running backwards. Stroke position is adjusted be releasing the clamp handle on the top of the slotted hole in the top of the ram and turning the crank handle to traverse the ram.

Feed is adjusted by moving off center in the slot on the crank end. Moving to one side will feed right, the other left. May also have a ratchet reverse so you don't have to move the actuator rod center to reverse. If the feed is set too coarse, or too far from center, the rod could get near dead center on the ratchet and cause it to lock up. Move it closer to the center where there is less travel and more leverage and see if it turns. If it is still binding up, start looking to see if the table gibs are too tight, ratchet is binding or hinge points of the actuator rod are bound up.

Thanks Mike. I fiddled around with it yesterday and figured most of that out. The tip about the position of the yoke relative to stroke and motor direction is helpful though. Once I moved the crank end closer to center I was able to get the machine to smoothly turn over with the hand wheel. I am looking forward to actually making some chips with this thing in the future.

You might want to mark on the feed crank with a sharpie where it starts to bind so you don't go past that point. Usual feed isn't over two or three clicks on the ratchet, anyway. Under power, if it hangs like that, it WILL break something.

Back