What's new
What's new

Hendey 12x42 id and hp question

cgesek

Plastic
I just picked up a Hendey 12x42, 35978 stamped on the bed. Does anyone have any info on this lathe? Unfortunately, there appears to be a weld repair to the headstock mount that I didn't notice until after taking delivery. Hoping it won't be a major problem.

It came with a 5hp motor. I am planning on running it off an RPC, and I'm wondering if 3hp would be enough for this machine. I think it will be easier to come up with a cheap 3hp motor for the lathe and use the 5hp as my idler.

Also does anyone know what the spindle taper should be?

Thanks,
Chris
Hendy1.jpgheadstockrepair.jpgspindle.jpg

I'd say - unless you are going to ring the gonads off that lathe day in day out on heavy production, 3HP will be just about right.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weld repair on the foot, .........quite common, and as long as the machines not damaged elsewhere you're good to go.

P.S. Spindle nose details here. http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page9.html

Thanks for the replies. Does Hendeyman still post here? I'd be interested in learning the history of this lathe.

It's slowly making it's way into the basement, piece by piece. With no bulkhead doors, it's quite a project. Here's the bed being maneuvered through the 90deg turn on the stairs.

-Chris
Hendeybed.jpg

cgesek:

Hendey lathe #35978, a 12x42, 12 Speed model, was ordered on January 27, 1944 and was scheduled for completion during the first week
of April 1944. As originally ordered, it was to be shipped with the standard 3hp motor, but a change order was issued to increase the
motor size to 5hp. The motor specifications at the time of shipping was Frame 284, 5HP, 1200RPM, 220Volts, 60Cycles, 3Phase. The
original owner is listed as the Ferry Cap and Set Screw Company, no city or state was listed. There are still Patterns, Castings and
Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but to a limited degree. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts
can be made if required.

Hendeyman

So I'm slowly but surely reassembling the Hendey as time allows. It seems to be going together okay except the apron (longitudinal) handwheel has been broken and welded/brazed and its shaft is a bit scored. I don't see the need for the pinned key. Thinking about putting it together with a regular key and seeing what happens. Any comments? Are these parts available (Hendeyman)?
20170611_203434.jpg20170611_203500.jpg

I understand the need for a key. I don't understand why it needs to be pinned in place.

On to the apron oil pump. The plunger rides on an eccentric lobe. I assume there should be a spring inside? Does anyone happen to have a picture of the spring just to give me an idea?
EDIT: Now I'm thinking spring and ball check valve?

20170612_212758.jpg

Last edited:
After some experimentation I got the pump working. It was missing the ball and spring under the plunger. Now I get a steady dribble of oil to the top of the apron. Hope that's enough.
pump.jpgballs.jpg

(Posting mainly to test picture posting.) Here's the Hendey mostly assembled in my basement(from a few months ago). Does anyone have a source for reasonably priced handwheels? Mine was broken and poorly brazed at some point in its life.
19366121_10213275010452649_6131052159131240012_n.jpg

Back