What's new
What's new

Hendey cleanup

nettleton23

Aluminum
Hey everyone new here and also a new owner of a Hendey 12x5. I was wondering if anyone could tell me some history on this beast. I have some BR right now because there is a lot of wear in the back vee and just noticed the lead screw for threading is wore almost flat close to the head. I've already took tailstock and compound apart and found the gib on the compound has been broke and needs a new nut machined. Maybe this wasn't the best beginners lathe. Now I need machining done and I'm having to pay someone to do it for me. I was also wondering if there was a place close to Mississippi that would grind the vee's for me. I've tried calling AAble Machinery to talk to someone there but it said the number is no longer in service (520)642-3272.

Glen

After all that I forgot to include the serial number 16354

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nettleton23:

Hendey lathe #16354 was assigned to an 18x8 Cone Head model and not a 12x5 lathe. Please check the Serial Number and repost the number.
Practically all lathe Serial Numbers in the 16000 series were produced during 1915, starting in March of that year. Regardless of the
size, no Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts are left in inventory for machines of this period, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so, parts can be made as required. Some of the Compound Nuts on these early lathes were Double Start Left Hand
and the O.D. of the shaft was 1/2 inch. This makes cutting the thread with a single point tool a bit tedious. Hendey did the job with
a special tap, I have the tap in inventory. The Gib is a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive item to make. If you could post some
pictures of the Leadscrew, it would make accessing the degree of damage a lot easier. Regrinding and rescraping a Lathe Bed is a
project that can become very expensive, very quickly. It should be considered after all other options are exhausted, including what
you paid for the lathe and how much you are willing to invest. The chances are excellent that you can buy another lathe for a lot
less than it would cost you to recondition this bed.

Regarding Aable Machine Tool, because of health issues, Mr. McCune starting shutting down the business in January 2005 and the
property was sold off in May 2006. I was subcontractor to Aable Machine and I still supply parts and information about Hendey products
made between 1883 and 1954.

Hendeyman

IMG_1581.JPGIMG_1580.JPGIMG_1542.JPGIMG_1536.JPG

This tag 16354 was the only number I found on it. I looked for one stamped on the bed and casting. The other tag may have been the original owner. In the picture of the leadscrew you can and may not can tell how worn it is. When I went to look at this machine I looked it over good so I knew the vee on the back had 10 to 12 thousandths but the front may only have been 1 or 2. I looked the machine over good but never noticed the screw. After further inspection the compound nut will work for now.

It's going to be an interesting clean up on this beast. It's not my first time to rebuild and old machine but this will the first lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been what chin these things all over the country. Is that the one down in starkville?? Glad to see it found a home. And in one piece

John I looked in that exact spot because I thought that's were it should have been but i will clean it up and take another look. Thanks

Unless I'm interpreting erroneously the picture, the leadscrew looks still very usable.

I'm rather puzzled by your description of the wear: generally, the front (operator side) V is worn more than the rear one. How did you check the wear?

Paolo

I took three different straight edges with me when I went to look at it and the only one that would work was a 24" carpenters square which was the worst of the three (even though it was brand new). I placed it on top of the vee and tried to use feeler gauges to check. I agree in most all cases the front wears due to tool pressure over time.

The leadscrew is worn bad but it may be ok to use. I'm still in the cleaning and checking things before I run it. Parts of this machine looks like it has not been cleaned since 1915

Glen

Looks like you have room to bore it and then use loctite to hold a new threaded sleeve in your original nut. I would use one of the bearing bronzes to make your threaded sleeve.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic!

Back