What's new
What's new

hendey lathe

al douglasl

Plastic
Hello, I am new to the PM forum so forgive me if I'm not doing this right. I have recently acquired a vintage Hendey lathe. It is a gearhead 16 x 7 with a serial # 27489. Is there a data source to determine age?

Hello, I am new to the PM forum so forgive me if I'm not doing this right. I have recently acquired a vintage Hendey lathe. It is a gearhead 16 x 7 with a serial # 27489. Is there a data source to determine age?

Welcome to forum Al - about 1929. Hendeyman may happen by and go into its history

Thumbnails are of an 18" from late twenties - ON EDIT, add 16" scan

I'll suppose it is the early 12 speed - so the linked manual is at least partially applicable. Thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this 1940 pub for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1940-Hendey-Op-Man.pdf

Attachments

• page 1.jpg
    page 1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 59
  • page 2.jpg
    page 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 93
  • page 3.jpg
    page 3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 63
  • page 4.jpg
    page 4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Hendey 16.jpg
    Hendey 16.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
al douglas:

Hendey lathe #27489, a 16 x 7, 12 Speed Geared Head model, was built during the last week of March 1929. It was shipped with a Compound
Rest and a Taper Attachment. It had an BMD (Belt Motor Drive) System. The original owner was the Bridgeport Brass Company, Bridgeport,
Connecticut. There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings
are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

While I was checking the Serial Number Cards for your lathe, I noticed that the Serial Number Card for Hendey lathe #27488 had a notation
regarding the date of manufacture in my handwriting. Both lathes were identical and ordered by Bridgeport Brass. I did not note the
name of the present owner of #27488, but I am reasonably sure that they are a member of this forum. I thought it was great fun to know
that two lathes ordered at the same time and by the same company, have not only survived, but are owned by two members of this Forum.

Hendeyman

Back