What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe

steelfronts

Plastic
Well lightning did strike twice I bought another old Hendey No. 25370. It has part of the taper attachment left but I cant find how to keep the cross slide/lead screw from moving back away from the work. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also interested in the year.This has a one hp washing machine motor with a gear box I dont think it will have enough power to work well.

Screw is anchored in slide block back there - which has to be clamped (if T/A is not in use) with long square headed set screw thru right rear carriage saddle wing. If you are lacking slide block or long set screw you won't be controlling position of screw

Thumbnails are the T/A related pages from the 1920ish manual scan. This info refers to the slide block as the EXTENSION block

Handy links Hendey related in Post #8 here.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/new-hendy-lathe-345898/

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thank you I'll have to make some parts .There isn't any available is there?

Hendeyman is the one to ask. At the very least you can buy drawings from him. If you want to look thru his posts you can find his email - or he may stop by and comment on your serial you thoughtfully posted

So If I remove the taper attachment I can just make a bolt on anchor for the time being till I can complete the t.a.

SteelFronts:

+1 on what John Oder wrote. Hendeyman is definitely the one to contact about missing parts. I suggest asking him for an actual quote on the parts; even if he has to make them to order, it could be worth your while to buy rather than make.

(No connection except as a very satisfied customer for some Hendey gears from the left side of the headstock. Prices were surprisingly reasonable, quality excellent!)

John Ruth

steelfronts:

The Serial Number Card for Hendey lathe #25370 was misfiled at Aable Machine tool some years ago, so I am unable to give you the name of the original owner. You did not mention the size or model of your lathe, that being the case, I can't tell you if any Patterns, Castings
or Repair Parts are left in inventory for your machine. I can tell you that all of the original drawings are still in the files for that
time period, so parts can be made if required. Hendey lathe #25370 was scheduled for completion during the third week in July 1924.
I just noticed the pictures that you posted. Give me a few minutes to dig out additional information.

Hendeyman

Last edited:
So If I remove the taper attachment I can just make a bolt on anchor for the time being till I can complete the t.a.

No need to remove T/A, but the simplest way to control the screw is make a block that fits in the machined recess in the carriage saddle and has a bore to accommodate the turned down far end of the screw. You will need two thrust collars (one at either end of block) and a nut to fit on far end of screw

Clamp the block in place with the long set screw, which hopefully isn't missing

Pat has good photo in Post #102 here with the extension block and cross slide screw installed in carriage saddle

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ey-14-6-tie-bar-rehab-172446/?highlight=rehab

steelfronts:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Your lathe is considered a 1922 model. Since I could not read the size of your lathe, it is either a 12 inch or 14 inch size and
considering the Oil Pan, its most likely a 12 inch. Having said that, you will probably tell me that it is a 14 inch, some days I can't
win. Only a few repair parts will fit both machines and there are not many of those left in inventory. For a Cone Head, the recommended
motor size would be 1HP for the 12 inch lathe and 1-1/2HP for the 14 inch lathe.

Hendeyman

It is a 14X6 and its back in business thanks to all the help from the forum. thankyou. Hendeyman would there be slide block available or a drawing?

steelfronts:

Since the circa of manufacture has now been established, 1901 to 1904, a Serial Number is not required to find the correct drawings.
Very few design changes occurred during this period with regard to the lathes, the most notable being the addition of the Compound
Gear Box in 1904. Determine what parts you need and I will check the drawings. Keep in mind that not all of the drawings have surivied
as hard copies, but are preserved on microfilm and when printed out are a smaller size than the original. Hendey did not make
exploded views of assemblies, but standard three view drawings. Until about 1912, individual part drawings, one part per drawing, was
not used by Hendey. During the period that your lathe was built, the standard was to group a number of parts from the same assembly
on one drawing and put several assemblies on the same drawing. This is one of the reasons it is so time consuming to find a particular
part used on the early machines. Despite any title on the drawing, it is necessary to check each part on the drawing for the name of
the part, the part number and the number of pieces required. On a few occasions, I have found parts from two different machines on the
same drawing. Be patient, it may take a bit of time to find the drawings you need.

Hendeyman

Hendeyman the missing parts are No.s 5, 7, and 10 on johnoders pictures above. This is for lathe 25370 14X6 thanks

Back